Advice needed on solar panel loan

Options
We bought solar panels on finance and after about 1-2 months in, we told the installers that they were faulty as they were not bringing in no where near what we expected them too. We were back and forth with them for about 18 months, trying to get the issue rectified and compensation for faulty solar panels.

However, the company who installed them and sold them to us, went bankrupt. Now the loan company (who the installers used for finance) managed to send someone out (after 2 years) and fix the problem. However we have been paying full payments on faulty solar panels for 2 years now. And the loan company aren't interested in hearing about the fact they were faulty and that we were sorting compensation out with the company before they went bust.

Is there anything we could do? We are pretty much owed 2 years worth of what our solar panels would have brought in.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds more like a consumer rights issue than a debt free wannabe thread.
  • TheClusk
    TheClusk Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Sounds more like a consumer rights issue than a debt free wannabe thread.

Ahh i did look for a more suitable thread but couldn't find one.

My apologies. I'm new.

I don't mind if an admin moves this to the correct section.

Sorry again
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 March 2017 at 1:01AM
    Options
    TheClusk wrote: »
    Ahh i did look for a more suitable thread but couldn't find one.

My apologies. I'm new.

I don't mind if an admin moves this to the correct section.

Sorry again

Moved to correct section from Debt Free Wannabe to Consumer Rights

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much electricity did they produce and how much should they have produced?

How many panels? Estimated total KW?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you appear to have made the purchase with a loan specifically for the panels, the finance company are equally responsible for the performance of the contract under Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act.

In other words, if you have a valid claim against the installers (if they still existed), then you have exactly the same claim against the credit provider.

I am sure MSE's Section 75 article will help you.

There is a section of that article headed If the retailer/supplier has gone bust - go to your credit card provider, but the whole article is worth reading.

Not too sure exactly how long you have had these panels, but you only have a valid claim up to six years following the sale - there are different rules in Scotland.
  • TheClusk
    Options
    How much electricity did they produce and how much should they have produced?

How many panels? Estimated total KW?

Thanks for the reply, I'll get the details when I'm home. All together, we have 16 panels. They produced exactly 0Kw for the last 2 years. They didn't fit them properly and there was a break in the circuit.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Before the installation was carried out, were you given a detailed breakdown of what the installation company estimated that the system would produce on a year by year basis?
    This should have included estimates for the money received from the feed in tariff as well as the savings on your gas & electricity bills.

If you have this document, you should be able to work out a good estimation of the total money that you have lost due to the system not working and if this figure is higher than the finance repayments you have been making, it would make sense to base any potential claim on this amount.
  • TheClusk
    Options
    It's not letting me quote posts on my phone, but thank you so much for the replies. They are really helpful

Section 75 post, exactly the law and info I was looking for.

And the estimations, yes we still have that with the original contract we got from the company who went bust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure