JSA and work

I'm currently claiming job seekers allowance and I also have a zero hour contract job which I'm going to hand in my notice for. I'm also not getting any hours at the moment.

Would my benefits be affected if I leave even though I'm not making a new claim?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you are not getting any hours why resign? Just find another job and take it from there.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • I should have probably mentioned in my post that the job I currently have is making me feel unhappy and unappreciated. I actually cried last week about the job. I just want out of there.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You don't have to accept any hours if you don't want to. I do understand how you feel, I quit a permanent well paid job as I was heading for a breakdown and it was making my physical health worse than it is, I temped for months before landing my new job.

Can you temp? Can you take a seasonal job or part-time job somewhere?

I'm not sure what line of work you do or can do, but I just don't see the benefit of you quitting when you are not getting hours anyway.

I can't answer the benefit side, but hopefully someone will be able to soon.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    danielle96 wrote: »
    I'm currently claiming job seekers allowance and I also have a zero hour contract job which I'm going to hand in my notice for. I'm also not getting any hours at the moment.

Would my benefits be affected if I leave even though I'm not making a new claim?

No, leaving your zero hour contract job will not affect your benefit based upon what you have told us.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As pointed out, there is no need to resign, simply decline further work if you don't want it.

Perhaps you would benefit from building up resilience generally.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To confirm that there would be no sanction for leaving a zero hours contract :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721778/dmgch34.pdf

Sorry, for some reason I cannot print out the relevant passages.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    To confirm that there would be no sanction for leaving a zero hours contract :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721778/dmgch34.pdf

I've never noticed those paragraphs before - thanks for posting.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure