What appliance uses most electricity

Options

Comments

• Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    Imagine electricity in terms of water. For years we were told not to keep the tap running whilst brushing teeth and fixing any dripping tap ASAP.
    This advice was given because leaving a tap dripping for 24hrs uses much more water than you ever think.

Now change this thinking to electricity, worrying about how much your tumbler uses is good if it's just because your too lazy to load a clothes horse or washing line but really it's the small changes which really make savings. Turning off lights, fitting energy saving bulbs into EVERY light fitting. Using the off button not the remote.
    Say leaving your TV stand by costs 1p per day that's £3.65 per year without even trying!

Another simple one is to turn the oven off 5 minutes before it's finished.

NEVER buy marine fish!! I have and it costs between £20 and £29 per month just to keep them alive! My T.V is off at the button though
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Electric showers can be really high.
    Even small ones operate at 7-8kWh, so if you've got 4-5 people shrivelling up in the shower for 20 minutes a time (sometimes twice a day), it can really add up. I've heard of people taking half hour showers even!

Power showers are even worse.
  • Ice_2
    Ice_2 Posts: 3,486 Forumite
    Options
    rubbish my bills are just the same and I have an electric shower and a tumble dryer...if you have a gas cooker get a kettle for that and boil up instead of using an electric kettle...turn things off at the wall on a night or when your not in instead of keeping them on standby....use energy lightbulbs instead of nornal ones...:D

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK! :kisses2::happylove
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
  • mute_posting
    Options
    Ice wrote: »
    rubbish my bills are just the same and I have an electric shower and a tumble dryer...

Who's post are you rubbishing?
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rubbish my bills are just the same and I have an electric shower and a tumble dryer...

It's not rubbish at all.

:rolleyes:

The question was "What appliance uses most electricity" and no other standard appliance in the home uses more than an electric shower! That is a fact and is indisputable.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mmmm

My cooker uses the most!!!

When both ovens, grill and 4 rings are on!
  • btr30
    btr30 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    rubbish my bills are just the same and I have an electric shower and a tumble dryer...if you have a gas cooker get a kettle for that and boil up instead of using an electric kettle...turn things off at the wall on a night or when your not in instead of keeping them on standby....use energy lightbulbs instead of nornal ones...:D

A 10kW electric shower will use the same amount electricity as 100 tungsten light bulbs, or 500 low energy lightbulbs. Therfore the greatest potential to reduce electricity consumption exists in this area.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Mmmm

My cooker uses the most!!!

When both ovens, grill and 4 rings are on!

So when did you last switch on both of your ovens, the grill and all four rings then?

Is it in fact possible to have your grill on and the top oven simultaneously?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    So when did you last switch on both of your ovens, the grill and all four rings then?

?

About the same time as I last had a 30 minute shower!!!!!

Actually it would be interesting to see what(on average) used more electricity for most people - the cooker or the electric shower.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    About the same time as I last had a 30 minute shower!!!!!

Actually it would be interesting to see what(on average) used more electricity for most people - the cooker or the electric shower.

I'm not entirely sure how much electricity our cooker uses - I can't use the power meter on it, and it'd be a bit of a drag to switch off the rest of the house and eyeball the electric meter in order to find out.

As far as total power consumption over a sustained period is concerned, at the moment our fridge/freezer takes pride(!) of place at 40.15kWh per month (determined by an observed average of 55W over a six-hour period).

Our main TV also scores quite badly as it demands a massive 155W when active, and we tend to use it a fair bit (more than needed, really; having a radio downstairs instead of using Freeview for radio would probably cut our TV usage in half).

Currently our electric shower is using a total of zero kWh, as it's broken. :o

Also: is it just me, or is all the brouhaha about leaving appliances on standby more hype than substance? (Sad as you like, but) I actually went round with a power meter and tested various appliances that we typically leave on standby - the total monthly power consumption amounted to a planet-boiling(!) 15.96kWh, which is only about £1.50 on a monthly bill! To hear some people talk about it, it's as if people are paying way over the odds due to leaving appliances on standby. Has this issue been exaggerated?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure