Confirmation of student loan fully repaid

Hi,

Anybody else cleared their student loan (plan 1) - when did you receive confirmation? I have been abroad with no UK income for 18 months . With no contact from the SLC and no job for the first few months whilst I awaited employment authorisation I forgot about it to be honest. I just recently was looking at my budget and tax affairs; discovered that I am supposed to be contributing to the student loan from foreign income. To save the paperwork faff; I called them for a settlement figure and paid it off with a debit card.

I have since received a long unwieldy form requesting foreign income details but have ignored as it's clearly no longer relevant. Has anyone been in this situation and when did you finally receive confirmation that the loan is cleared? Will I have to wait until next September when they do the usual annual statement? I have read some horror stories about people believing their loan was cleared and later being hit with repayment demands etc so I just want to ensure everything's in order!!

Many thanks for any experience...
Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!

Comments

• Hubby paid what was left of his over the phone, didn't receive confirmation and got a final statement the next year.
  • peter3hg
    peter3hg Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I paid mine off about 18 months ago. I didn't receive any confirmation at the time and I haven't received a statement this year. I've just logged in to my account and it shows an outstanding balance of £0.49. I'm assuming this will get written off at some point.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why do people do thsi?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Why do people do thsi?
    Do what? Pay off their student loan? Because it's reached the end of its lifetime?
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
  • peter3hg wrote: »
    I paid mine off about 18 months ago. I didn't receive any confirmation at the time and I haven't received a statement this year. I've just logged in to my account and it shows an outstanding balance of £0.49. I'm assuming this will get written off at some point.

Mine is showing a negative balance online of -£24.06 but if I account for the interest accrued for the 2019-20 financial year it comes to £0. Have you looked in the correspondence section of your online account for the statement? Very few of my statements ever make it to me physically as they always seem to be one address behind...
  • _shel wrote: »
    Hubby paid what was left of his over the phone, didn't receive confirmation and got a final statement the next year.

Yeah that's what I kind of assumed. 10 months to wait. Ho hum.
  • peter3hg
    peter3hg Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mine is showing a negative balance online of -£24.06 but if I account for the interest accrued for the 2019-20 financial year it comes to £0. Have you looked in the correspondence section of your online account for the statement? Very few of my statements ever make it to me physically as they always seem to be one address behind...

Yeah I looked in there. It doesn't have a final statement for 18/19.
  • peter3hg wrote: »
    Yeah I looked in there. It doesn't have a final statement for 18/19.

Huh. Well I will give them until next September (I'll be back in the UK by then I imagine) and then I will hassle them about it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure