Teenager advice

Options
This is just a general question really,

I have a teen who is now 17 and wants to start towards getting mobile after passing his test.

Looking at some potential cars, obviously with the insurance costing an arm and a leg keeping it down is important.

Looking at various supermini 1.0 cars of similar performance and specification I am surprised at how the insurance group varies for them.

Question is, roughly how much difference does the lower group number have an effect? say between groups 1 and 4? are we talking hundreds and hundreds?

I realise he will need a black box policy to stand a chance either way.

Thanks, its all a lot more expensive and complicated than in my day.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Low insurance group tells them how cheaply it can be fixed under certain accident consitions. Tells them nothing about every one they have ever insured had a claim that was 10x its actual value or premium paid.

Daughters first car was a group 9, cheaper than most lower groups with the exception of the FIAT 500 which was cheaper but all the cars were trashed, bumps and scratches on them all.

Her current car is a KA which is a Fiat 500 under the skin but 3 years newer for less money and in better condition.

Eliminated all black box policies from the start. Would not touch them.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with forgotmyname.

Some surprising cars will come up with cheap insurance for a teenager, and the usual low insurance group ones aren't often those.

Have a look for a Skoda Fabia or Honda Jazz instead of a Polo/Corsa/Fiesta for example. It may not still work, but 4-figure savings were possible in the near past.

Also, next time you're driving into a town centre, take a look at what small cars are typically driven by retired folk. These will typically be much cheaper to insure than something driven often by inexperienced drivers.
    💙💛 💔
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,222 Forumite
    Options
    Insurance groups are primarily a marketing gimmick for people who sell small engined cars. They are not actually a major factor in his much it costs to insure a car and you should look at actual quotes from a price comparison site rather than assuming they just because a car is in a low group it will be cheap to insure. Try to think outside the box - for example some people have reported getting remarkably cheap insurance for things like old Volvo estates ie something with no street Fred which screams "I'm not a boy racer".
  • MidlandsGlory
    Options
    Thank you, from the limited initial quotes I tried it does seem to be the case that lower groups are automatically cheaper, you just confirmed that suspicion.

I am thinking safety features come into it too.

Of course the said teen, thinks he is getting a Tesla! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A black box company is a good ideas as it teaches him good habits, keeps him safer and more importantly his premiums will come down
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In theory yes. But i know of a local young man who had a blackbox fitted. Twice a week someone else would take the car out to ensure that his driving score remained high enough to satisfy the insurers.
  • MidlandsGlory
    Options
    43722 wrote: »
    In theory yes. But i know of a local young man who had a blackbox fitted. Twice a week someone else would take the car out to ensure that his driving score remained high enough to satisfy the insurers.

I guess you would have to have some knowledge of how the software is calculating stuff to get away with that.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    Options
    Yep adding more miles onto the car which may increase the risk of an accident. Which is less likely to cause a problem with the blackbox a parked vehicle or one being driven?

If your worried about the safety features on any vehicle then you should probably buy them a train ticket instead of a car.

Dont forget crash tests are a known fixed value. 30 or 40mph in a certain way. The problem with the real world is accidents often do not happen that way. 5 stars at 40mph but what happens when it hits something at 70mph or head on with another vehicle at 70mph.

Actually witnessed an accident on a 40mph road, one car was more like 50 - 60mph though, reduced the bonnet to the length of an A4 sheet of paper.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    Dont forget crash tests are a known fixed value. 30 or 40mph in a certain way. The problem with the real world is accidents often do not happen that way. 5 stars at 40mph but what happens when it hits something at 70mph or head on with another vehicle at 70mph.

Actually witnessed an accident on a 40mph road, one car was more like 50 - 60mph though, reduced the bonnet to the length of an A4 sheet of paper.

That is a good thing and the car is designed to crumple in an accident to absorb the force of the impact. They could easily design the car to have very little deformation while crashing but then everyone in the car would die...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure