Can't find deeds?

Options
Relative recently passed away leaving a small property to their son. Probate all applied for but we can't find the deeds, (owned outright). Is this likely to be a problem, or is it just a case of contacting / changing the land registry details when probate is approved?
Many thanks form any help..

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the property registered?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 December 2019 at 2:51PM
    Options
    I was faced with a similar prospect a few years back. Went through a list of solicitors that the deceased had any dealings with. A number of the firms had been taken over by another company, but the documents were eventually tracked down to a warehouse in Cambridge.

When was the property purchased ?
    Most (all?) purchases since around 1990 will be registered at the Land Registry.

Was the house ever mortgaged ?
    If so, contact the mortgage provider and see if they have the deeds (or even a copy on microfiche). Worth pointing out that Bradford & Bingley had a fire back in 1998 which destroyed 100K+ of deeds - If the mortgage was provided by them, B&B can/should help sorting out the paperwork.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi both and thanks for the replies...I will check to see if the property is "registered"....assume I can find how to do that via "google"..

As far as I am aware the property was brought outright, ie no mortgage..
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilley wrote: »
    Hi both and thanks for the replies...I will check to see if the property is "registered"....assume I can find how to do that via "google".

Make sure you use the official Land Registry site to check.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Make sure you use the official Land Registry site to check.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brilley wrote: »
    Relative recently passed away leaving a small property to their son. Probate all applied for but we can't find the deeds, (owned outright). Is this likely to be a problem, or is it just a case of contacting / changing the land registry details when probate is approved?
    Many thanks form any help..

You can check online for registered details
    If it is registered then that is the record of ownership and you don’t need the original deeds to prove it.

Our online guidance takes you through next steps depending on what the son/beneficiary wants to do with the property
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .many thanks for the replies, been on line at the Land Registry and the house is listed...job done. Just need to change "title" when probate comes through...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure