PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agency agreement

Options
2»

Comments

• buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Indeed they have, but fortunately the OP has now clarified.

They have although I find your alterations unnecessary.. The english dictionary defines estate agent as: a person or business whose job involves selling and renting out buildings and land for clients.

Also although a solicitor can be used for a tenancy agreement this would be extremely unusual for a residential property.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    well the OP clearly took it for granted that Estate Agent indicated he was selling.
    Artful responded on that basis.
    As did I.
    And Staffie.
    Edddy too.

Not huge sample, but 80% of posters made the same interpretation......
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    They have although I find your alterations unnecessary.. The english dictionary defines estate agent as: a person or business whose job involves selling and renting out buildings and land for clients.

Also although a solicitor can be used for a tenancy agreement this would be extremely unusual for a residential property.

Depends which dictionary - mine states it as An estate agent is someone who works for a company that sells houses and land for people.

However, at the end of the day, an estate agent sells, a lettings agent lets. They both have very different roles.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to clarify...

The statutory 14 day cooling off period applies to contracts signed away from the place of business, with:
    • estate agents (to sell a property)
    • letting agents (to let a property)

i.e. It applies to both:
    • where a property owner is instructing an estate agent to find a buyer
    • where a property owner is instructing a letting agent to find a tenant

buggy_boy wrote: »
    If selling/buyint it would be solicitors that do the contract.

You've misunderstood.

The OP is referring to the contract between a property owner who is selling a house and the EA.

Solicitors aren't involved in that contract.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful. There are a couple of things to negotiate, but I’m happy enough with the contract. It’s the agency agreement to sell a house.

Make absolutely sure it's not a "sole selling rights" contract, but "sole agency" instead. Also make sure the cancellation period is no more than 4-6 weeks.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Make absolutely sure it's not a "sole selling rights" contract, but "sole agency" instead. Also make sure the cancellation period is no more than 4-6 weeks.
    Preferably 0 wks.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure