PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D Ooohh, big fun. Have been nipping about there but still haven't established what an EDC is. Help!

me neither :rotfl: you were one up on me the other day mentioning the BOB :o I dip in and out. I get scared easily so tend to only have a pop on when I feel brave.
  • fuddle
    Options
    katieowl wrote: »
    Every day carry.... I had to google. I think it's the male equivelent of a handbag, but with along with plasters and aspirins it has pointy things...:rotfl:

Kate

pointy things? :eek:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D A man-bag!

Thanks for the clarification, I would have fretted until I understood it.

When I'm travelling, I have a Rohan mulitpocketed waistcoat which is a handbag substitute and contains some essential extras. Effectively, it is a mini bugout bag.....Grabbit and go.

I get very cross at the rules about carrying knives as I am rather partial to a lock-knife myself. Even Mum has stopped carrying her fave Silver Hawk lock knife. I struggle with a Swiss Army knife as I have very bendy fingernails and can't always open the blades.

:p If the zombies come, I shall grab my bushcraft knife, which is worn on a lanyard around the neck under your clothes (it has a rigid plastic scabbard, I hasten to add). Wouldn't work for a lass with a substantial upper deck but that's never been one of my problems. :rotfl:Only to be taken out-of-doors in a real SHTF as it is deffo classified as an offensive weapon. Still, if I have to take the woods to save my life being busted for carrying a blade will be the last thing on my mind.

It's a souvenir from my week in the wet woods last Sept with the Mad Bushcrafters and one of the things we had to learn is that you always need to know where your knife is, it's the essential survival tool. I was a country child and am fairly au fait with pointy things. I was also a tomboy, which might just have a bearing on certain activities these days, too.

I remember what my martial arts teacher said, back in the day; the trouble with carrying weapons is that they can be taken off you and used against you. Shortly after this he disarmed an attacker twice his size and flung him around the mats with consumate ease. I used to love doing aikido. When other people who did other arts found out what you did, they looked a little askance, as aikido people are regarded as being a bit whoo-whoo.

;) It's not whoo-whoo, of course, it's applied physics and (mostly) centrifugal force. In white cotton pyjamas.

These days, as I am less bendy, I practise the Dreaded Origami and if annoyed, will fold people into artistic shapes. Probably cranes, if they have been very very annoying. We Origamists are an obscure sect and that business with the paper-folding originated in 16th century Japan when the peasantry needed a fighting form but couldn't be seen by the samurai to be practising. Hence the paper as a way of passing the forms down from parent to child in such a way that no one outside the sect would suspect their true meaning..........

Titter ye not, stranger things have been found to be entirely true and you never know..............
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I unravelled a pile of nice fuzzyish yarn from a 3/4 complete top I was making and didn`t really want. Got the pattern, did the tension square which was perfect and cast on 138 stitches, did several rows in SC and decided to undo that and use a half size bigger hook for cast on, then did a whole ball. It was fine but not stretchy enough on the edge so have taken that apart and am now going to be doing a cast on one whole size larger than the main work. ie 7 cast on and then 6 for the main. Am enjoying it

Weather this evening has been torrential, no warning from met. People need better info, even the engineer who was here this week, had the whole of his flat flooded, rising ground water and not a river. There was a lot in his area.

Chestnut mushrooms are done and are superb. 2 kg filled a 2.3 litre box. Such a concentrated smell from them. Tomorrow will be carrots and at least 4 trays dedicated to shredded carrot as I read that it is ideal for carrot cake

Making cream sounds good, I never made it. I`ll be looking out for cheaper cream, maybe costco when I go again but it takes 45 min in the car along the motorway so cannot justify unless I have a shipping order

The little oven I use is the lakeland make and I got it in the sale much reduced. I didn`t hesitate because of their cs. I am baking, warming or grilling most days when I would never be turning the oven on. I even made a 2" tall 8" sponge the other day. I love the oven. I used to have a halogen but this is very different and relatively tiny without the loud noise

Does anyone know where I can get cheese for raclette?
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    GQ http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/ you may see some familiar names... ;)

Blimey - I thought I was on the paranoid side, but they make me look positively flakey.

Have saved to have a potter round there later.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a ukprepper and my name is Mad Arthur :D
    ok well it isn't , it's something else on there. I'm in disguise. ;)
  • fuddle
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I'm a ukprepper and my name is Mad Arthur :D
    ok well it isn't , it's something else on there. I'm in disguise. ;)

:rotfl:

There's a lot to be learned on there. For instance, I never thought I'd see my beagle collie cross would actually be a positive thing to have should we be displaced, i.e. a distinct nose for hunting :D er, but on the other hand I learned via this forum that my dog's hunting skills could end up killing me :rotfl: GQ tell 'em what yer told me re: a diet consisting of only rabbit :eek: :rotfl:

:D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    If you live on only rabbit then you will get malnutrition and die ! :D
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

These days, as I am less bendy, I practise the Dreaded Origami and if annoyed, will fold people into artistic shapes. Probably cranes, if they have been very very annoying. We Origamists are an obscure sect and that business with the paper-folding originated in 16th century Japan when the peasantry needed a fighting form but couldn't be seen by the samurai to be practising. Hence the paper as a way of passing the forms down from parent to child in such a way that no one outside the sect would suspect their true meaning..........

Titter ye not, stranger things have been found to be entirely true and you never know..............

When living in Japan I spent a few weeks folding 1000 paper cranes - it's traditional to give cancer patients since a little girl called Sadako did it when she got leukemia after Hiroshima.
    I have never fancied origami since!!
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Darn it, I had some double cream the other day, binged on some as I lurve cream.....used some for a banoffee pie, and whipped up the rest and have it frozen for a later date. Wish I'd made butter now!!

Had a lovely result in MrA's today, bought 800g deelish strawberries for £1.25 YS of course :0) DD got a fantastic report from school, so has had a few treats, late night, pizza (yes, okay, I bought it before I knew about the report, but it was in anticipation ok ;) ), nearly a punnet of strawberries to herself and we're going to the theatre tomorrow morning. Woop woop!!

I went on the prepper's forum the other night and got very worried by it all. I know I have greatish food stores, could feed us for a few weeks if we don't mind a lack of fresh fruit, but the whole preparing for armageddon is terrifying.....

Might have to swing by Julian Graves tomorrow, its a shame as the people who work in my local shop are very friendly and chatty youngsters. My nearest town is becoming a ghost town, so many shops closed or closing, and even one of the bigger bar/restaurant places, independently owned, has gone, leaving a big hole in a small town. Such a shame........but I certainly can't afford to eat or drink out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure