Home Insurance claim - better to use own builders or insurance builders?

Options
Hi,

Can't find much information on this topic here on this forum or in the internet at large.

I had a leak in my house which caused considerable water damage - underflooring will have to be replaced, a bathroom re-tiled, several walls and ceillings will have to be replastered and re-decorated, and carpets replaced.

The insurance company has been great so far and they are asking me if I would like to use my own builders or theirs. Wondering if people can advise me on the pros and cons of each? Never had to do this before.

From what I gather, using the insurance own builders is less hassle, I only have to pay the excess (no money upfront) and I can involve the insurance company if I'm not happy with their work. But I'm concerned that their interests are with the insurance company, e.g. they might skip on work which is essential but they want to save the insurance's money.

On the other hand, with my own builder I will have to pay upfront, I'm on my own if I'm not happy with their work, and if the project cost over-runs I need to pay out of pocket (which apparently happens quite frequently). Also, I don't have experience working with builders.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can somewhat offset concerns about the quality of work of the insurance company provided builders by asking if there is a warranty.

Why would you have to pay upfront if you use your own builders? Can't you just get a lump sum insurance payout and use it to pay? This of course have it's own risks.

If getting a lump sum payout is an option I would call some builders to get a quote and see if hte payout is enough to cover it.
  • quirkydeptless
    Options
    amatos wrote: »
    The insurance company has been great so far

Which insurers are you with?
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • amatos
    amatos Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you have to pay upfront if you use your own builders? Can't you just get a lump sum insurance payout and use it to pay? This of course have it's own risks.

If getting a lump sum payout is an option I would call some builders to get a quote and see if hte payout is enough to cover it.

Thanks. To be honest this might be a possibility too. I'm new to this and I'm not sure how it works. I'll confirm this with the insurers too. Thanks.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've recently had the same thing, water leak resulting in 2 new ceilings and 2 rooms completely redecorating. I chose the insurers contractors as it would have been too complicated to coordinate everyone, I work full time too so can't be on the phone chasing workpeople. To complicate things, they found asbestos in my ceilings.

It's taken 3 months and it's been a nightmare but everything is now done. The management company employed by my insurers were worse than useless at managing things, but the contactors were all lovely and did a great job (bar one who they sacked) it wasn't their fault the management company couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery ! I've made a complaint and am waiting for a response but i'm just glad everything is done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure