Options
15678911»

Comments

• orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    drefaldwyn wrote: »
    Having a Smart Meter installed will not affect the export situation. However i would suggest you decline the offer of the Smart Meter unless the company can assure you that it will retain its' functionality when you switch supplier.

I have had a smart meter fitted and it does meter my export, but my FIT is paid by a different company so the 50% assumed export still stands.

There seems no reason not to get Smart Meters fitted in that you no longer need to submit meter readings manually. If you do move suppliers then it is quite likely that they won't be able to take control of the meters, but you haven't lost anything - they work as manual meters perfectly well.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NacNac wrote: »
    Hello

I was wondering if a new FAQ could be added.

Thanks in advance

Hiya, all done, though the new addition at 4c is extremely vague, but I'm not sure what else to say. For myself, with EDF, I've been told a smart meter can monitor export but they won't use it!!!
    4c Smart meters

Currently there is no clear picture regarding smart meters. It's possible that the smart meter will monitor export and export payments will be based on this, or that it will monitor export, but export payments won't be based on it, or that the smart meter won't monitor export at all.

There is also the issue that if your electricity supplier is different to your FiT supplier, then they might not be willing to use the technology, they may have different types/generations of smart meter etc.

As there is no clear answer, it's best to contact your FiT provider and ask them for clarification on the matter, and perhaps any indications regarding future policy, though this may well be even less clear.

All the best.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Bobadas
    Bobadas Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    While there’s a lot of good advice a lot of it is outdated given current model with battery storage
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bobadas wrote: »
    While there’s a lot of good advice a lot of it is outdated given current model with battery storage

Perhaps you might be interested in my sister thread:

On-grid domestic battery storage
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Bobadas
    Bobadas Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Get a smets 2, a battery and sign up to SE ( social energy), trade stored energy in the battery with the grid. :T
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would love to have solar panels do they still do free solar panels? Who are the best to use?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do they still do free solar panels?
    No, such schemes died out with the demise of the Feed-In Tariff. In any case there were downsides such as difficulty selling a house with a "sitting tenant" on the roof.
    Reed
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So which are good companies to be looking at then if I have to buy them?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So which are good companies to be looking at then if I have to buy them?
    Largely depends on what part of the country you're in
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure