Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Installed yesterday !

& BTW I didn't find out about it until after it was working.

What about the mandatory 7 day cooling off period set by MCS regs?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    What about the mandatory 7 day cooling off period set by MCS regs?

Mart.

Okay, getting myself confused now, looking up the regs I found RECC 6.2 (not MCS) but that seems to now suggest 14 days? Does this make sense to anyone else? Am I reading the right rules and regs?

Renewable Energy Consumer Code
    The Code has recently been revised. The principal changes are as follows:
    Revised cancellation rights arising from recent important legislative changes (Section 6.2)
    6.2 Cancellation rights

6.2.1 Cancellation rights where consumers sign contracts in the home, away from trade premises or by distance means

In certain circumstances the contracts Code members agree will be governed by the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. These Regulations apply to a contract or quotation where:

a consumer signs it, during a sales or other visit in their home or elsewhere away from the Code member’s trade premises in the presence of a representative of the Code member; or
    a consumer agrees it with a Code member exclusively by distance means (for example by email or by post).
    In these circumstances Code members must give the consumer the right to cancel without penalty within 14 days of the date on which the goods were all delivered to the consumer’s home. (This is known as the 'cancellation period').

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Does this friend live in the lovely town of Basildon (the Essex one)?

Radio 4 "You and Yours" featured what sounds like an identical example of miss-selling yesterday - as the victim had taken out a loan. both the cowboy company and Barclays bank were jointly and severally liable.

Looks like that "victim" will be getting a virtually free installation by way of compensation.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does this friend live in the lovely town of Basildon (the Essex one)?

Radio 4 "You and Yours" featured what sounds like an identical example of miss-selling yesterday - as the victim had taken out a loan. both the cowboy company and Barclays bank were jointly and severally liable.

Looks like that "victim" will be getting a virtually free installation by way of compensation.

No, it's Ashford(Kent) but I'll be suggesting he listens to that prog. Thanks for tip,
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Just to let people know that following a telephone chat with a member of staff at RECC (The Renewable Energy Consumer Code) I've added a new section to the FAQ's:

13. Basic consumer advice and protection.

All of the information is (hopefully) helpful and informative, but I was particularly struck by this piece of general consumer protection:

"Remember if you sign an order form or contract with a sales rep in your home you have the right to cancel the contract within 14 days from the date the goods are delivered to you."

Hopefully if people are more aware of their rights before, during and after an install, some of the cowboys will have a harder time, especially if the last tip is followed:

"Remember to send us your feedback once the job has been completed."

Mart.

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's interesting indeed Mart!!
    Does that mean that if someone installs a system the vendor has 14 days in which to cancel it, thus meaning the system has to be removed again. that would be one massive bargaining chip if the unscrupulous solar installers are still in abundance and overcharging like we keep seeing on the forum.

It'll certainly change the way in which we can advise some of the unfortunates who have/will get ripped off.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    May be some folk on here should change our signatures, so it is more obvious?!

Bit of subliminal persuasion!!

Might help some people who blindly take whatever the salesbod has said as gospel?!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    That's interesting indeed Mart!!
    Does that mean that if someone installs a system the vendor has 14 days in which to cancel it, thus meaning the system has to be removed again. that would be one massive bargaining chip if the unscrupulous solar installers are still in abundance and overcharging like we keep seeing on the forum.

It'll certainly change the way in which we can advise some of the unfortunates who have/will get ripped off.

It's a bit of an eye opener isn't it!

Basically I've been getting sorer and sorer over these high quotes from companies offering finance and a bucketload of nonsense to 'sell' their overpriced systems.

Reading the I've been a massive fool thread recently I saw even more similar stories, and had, had enough. So I rang RECC, explained I was a nobody, and a bit of a nosy parker, but asked if they'd like links to multiple threads about that company (and mentioned that others are doing exactly the same) and they said yes please.

We then chatted about general practices and procedures, and I asked if the 7 day rule about not being allowed to install was still true (it is). But the nice man at RECC pointed out that general consumer protection (not PV specific) was even stronger now, and explained the 14 day rule.

For most of us that makes sense, we sign on the day for the super duper wonder widget, and 15 days later the courier arrives with a piece of rubbish worth less than the cardboard box it arrives in. But, no worries, we've got 14 days to cool off after it arrives ...... only fair.

Now, RECC bod and I both thought these rules a little hard on PV installs, (well, I thought them a little hard, and RECC bod felt that they don't suit PV). But them's the rules, so unless they deliver the goods, then wait 14 days before installing it, they are also subject to the 14 day cooling off period from the date of the install ..... when the goods are delivered.

So it's a little crazy, and totally fair all at the same time. And, I think, gives people a lot more protection than they possibly realise they have.

As mentioned in the 'top tips' you can sign this right away, but I asked for a little clarification on this, specifically if it can be 'hidden' in the terms and conditions of the contract, and .... IT CAN'T. It has to be a separate document, and the salesperson has to explain what it is, and what rights you are giving up. At that point, why on earth would anyone sign it?

Check out post #6 on the fool thread, and see just how different our rights are to what we may think they are! :)

Mart.

• matt691944
    Options
    Hey guys I am new to solar I have a flat room, so I have been told I need planning permission, so assuming I get it .....

I have come to pick your brain I was thinking of buying these panels from the USA and mounting 18 of them on a flat room of my 3 bedroom house. I understand these are the best panels so at 250 w per panel 18 should give me 4.5 kw? Of course I would need to buy the inverter etc etc and I guess s the panels from the USA would be fine to use over here, unless they have different connections for the USA? And finally I would have to hire someone to fit all the system

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I am new to the world of Solar so please treat me like an idiot

Kyocera KD250GX-LFB 250 Watts Multicrystalline Solar Panel

I was thinking of Kyocera or Canadian Solar the two best it would seem, I'm in Blackburn, Lancashire if that helps with thinking of suggestions

Many Thanks and a special thanks to Martyn for leading me to this helpful thread
  • matt691944
    Options
    Hey guys I am new to solar I have a flat room, so I have been told I need planning permission, so assuming I get it .....

I have come to pick your brain I was thinking of buying these panels from the USA and mounting 18 of them on a flat room of my 3 bedroom house. I understand these are the best panels so at 250 w per panel 18 should give me 4.5 kw? Of course I would need to buy the inverter etc etc and I guess s the panels from the USA would be fine to use over here, unless they have different connections for the USA? And finally I would have to hire someone to fit all the system

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I am new to the world of Solar so please treat me like an idiot

Kyocera KD250GX-LFB 250 Watts Multicrystalline Solar Panel

I was thinking of Kyocera or Canadian Solar the two best it would seem, I'm in Blackburn, Lancashire if that helps with thinking of suggestions

Many Thanks and a special thanks to Martyn for leading me to this helpful thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure