different ways to make money from wedding dress?

Options
I've been trying to sell on my wedding dress for almost three years now (after getting married August 2013), with no joy. I've tried Ebay, gumtree, preloved, bride2bride, bridal reloved, and selling pages on Facebook (both local and national ones). I'm not asking for a huge amount of money for it, as it's not in perfect condition, although it's certainly still in a 'good' condition. I'm now trying to think of alternative places to sell it, as it's starting to annoy me seeing it sit in the wardrobe taking up space!

I did have an idea that someone crafty might buy it to chop up and make something with (decorations, bunting etc), but I have no idea how I'd go about finding a person like that to sell it to!

Can anyone think of any other way of getting rid of the dress, but still making a bit of money from it?

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I sent mine to a charity called cherished gowns because there is very little resale value for them..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i came across a charity that re purposes them into dresses for stillborn babies to be burried in. Angel gowns i think? unlikely to get money,but at least you know it will mean a lot to someone.
  • Or post a picture? I am looking for a 'cheap' dress and adverts on specific 2nd hand dress websites never seem to check back /read messages or old ads are never taken down.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Gift of a Wedding a charity which organises last minute weddings for terminally ill people would love to be given a wedding dress. Obviously not for money, but for a really good cause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure