Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• ScarlettMcCain
    Options
    Maman, I have jeggings from Sainsburys, think they are only £12 ish and there's a 20% off event coming up soon, worth having a look!

Thank you to everyone who has helped make me feel less guilty about a night off tomorrow :) you're all right, I should go as it won't get any easier the longer I leave it. The event is in London though which means an hour's travelling time each way for me, I have to factor that in too. Annoyingly the organiser hasn't sent out any more details with start time etc since the original invite over a month ago; I'd prefer if it started from 6/ 7pm then I could go for a couple of hours and be home for 10 ish, but appreciate that not everyone can do such an early start!

OH will have to do dinner, bath and bedtime all on his own, as if I wait till the boys are in bed it would be around 9pm before I go :( however after yesterday (and reading everyone's comments!) I think he needs to learn to do these without me. He's miffed as his mum is on holiday and otherwise would lend a hand, but as he NEVER looks after the boys on his own for more than around 20 minutes, it's about time he did. Plus he really annoyed me last night by going to bed at 8.30pm and refusing to help put the babies to bed or do any of the cleaning and tidying required afterwards, he said he was "too tired" - more likely still hungover after sulking off to the pub the night before! So I have left him a long list of jobs to get on with tomorrow after the boys are asleep, it's what I have to do every night :D

Unfortunately I don't have any family nearby LL and I really wish I did, it's not the same having OH's family around, particularly when they are so penny pinching. It must have been a very hard time for you with two little ones, especially when one was poorly. My friend's pregnant again and hers will be 22 months apart, I don't think she knows what's coming…..!

Look forward to seeing you on TV sugarbaby!!
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • ScarlettMcCain
    Options
    I forgot to say sugarbaby, what a disappointing thing to happen on your return to work - please do follow it up with an email so you always have something in writing if needs be. If you don't have any overtime authorised then you can only do what you can do, and there was no need for your general manager to be hostile when you're only reporting what you found. Not exactly constructive comments from them!
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I were you ruby I'd just go and enjoy the evening including the journey time (enjoy the rest and being by yourself). I wouldn't hold out much hope that your OH will get through the list of jobs but live in hope and don't let him moaning (as I'm sure he will) take the edge off your time out.

Not sure why penny pinching stops the in-laws helping with the babies. If they'd be up for it just let them babysit for a few hours so that you can have some time to yourself.

Enjoy your evening!:A
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Rubyslippers your boys will be fine, their dad might not be but it's part of the learning experience of being a parent ;) Enjoy your night out without guilt xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Ruby, only 1 day to go. I really hope you have a fun night out tomorrow. All of my 4 children had early bedtimes when they were babies and young children. They need a lot more sleep for optimum health than most people realise. They were in bed by 6pm.

I sent off a very long and detailed email to the General Manager to outline all the areas on 'my' floor that had been cleaned so badly in my absence. She will soon have to accept that she does not intimidate me. She is still intent on having a meeting with me after the half term and I just think to myself, bring it on love!

There was a road traffic accident involving a bus and a motorbike which caused so many bus diversions and huge tailbacks of traffic on the alternative routes. I pray that the motorbike rider is not seriously injured. I had to do a lot more walking between catching 3 buses to work and 3 buses home. I got to work so late so I had 40 minutes less time to get the cleaning done on my floor. I had to whizz around like a headless chicken, but I left all the rooms and other areas sparkling clean.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I posted a great long post and it disappeared. Here is the short version. Rubyslippers does your Oh help every night with the bath feed bed process with the children. They need training. Most men think we stay home and play with the toys and kids all day it is up to us to educate them:D
    I had a great few nights in a very posh hotel ( a Christmas gift) and I waited till their sale and got dinner bed and breakfast for the same price. Will go back when I win the lottery.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sugarbaby you sound as tho you are understaffed and work and you are working harder. Slow down and look after yourself.

I had my colours done yesterday and I am cool light. I new I was a cool but would have said soft not light but I love the colours in the wallet.
    Will post later when I have more time.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Great weightloss indie. You must be delighted.:T Please come back and tell us about 'Be the most fabulous you'. I like the sound of that.

Yes, really pleased to see the weight starting to come off. Won't be long before I am back down to where I was last May after my last trip to the Juice detox retreat, and without having to go away and do something extreme like juicing. Although this is fairly extreme - I am dreaming of apples as limited to low sugar fruit which means berries. But still means I can eat real meals and have something to chew.

The talk was based on some basic NLP principles (Neuro Linguistic Programming) which I did a course in some years ago and also Positive Psychology which I have read quite a bit about. I was feeling a bit cross with myself that I'd studied it and not used it... and then stopped and reminded myself of how much I had changed since I first heard of NLP. I was then living in Hampshire with a boss that was a bit of a bully, working too hard, few friends who lived near me (mine were mainly 70 miles away around Swindon), virtually no social life, hair dyed blonde in a vain attempt to recapture my youth, wearing clothes that didn't suit my figure or colouring and had just got out of a relationship with a guy who hadn't treated me well and yet I still hadn't managed to dump him. Oh and I wasn't hiking which is one of my favourite ways to spend my time and hadn't been on holiday much either.

Now I live in London, have a very active social life, loads of friends. travel a lot, go hiking regularly, have a job where I really like my managers and feel appreciated, I work less - 4 days a week, have a much better sense of what to wear and a great hairdresser. Ok, so I have yet to get the weight sorted and I'd love to have a nice boyfriend, and I want to get my spending better under control so I can start overpaying my mortgage, but I've come a long way already and am much happier.

Has encouraged me to dust off my NLP textbooks and consider what tips are in there for the next goals. Also got a couple more talks booked with different presenters - "The neuroscience of powerful habits" is the first, then the next is "The psychology of weight loss". I've also booked a day long workshop "How to get your dream guy" ( http://uk.funzing.com/funz/5462 ). Who knows if it will work, but I got a discount on it so it's not cost much and it's worth a shot. What I've done up till now ultimately hasn't worked so I might as well try something different.
    I'm supposed to be going out on Friday night for my first night out since the boys were born, yet OH has already managed to make me feel rubbish about it :( he's stormed off to the pub in a huff this evening as DS2 was very clingy towards me and wouldn't go to him. I've tried explaining that it's a phase and most children go through it at some stage but in his opinion DS2 should be left to howl and sob till he accepts his daddy instead of mummy….. indie, I wouldn't mind as much if OH was just inept but it's his lack of trying/ patience that gets to me, I know he'll be happy to snore off to sleep once the boys are finally in bed even though he's fully aware that he never hears them if they cry. I am already full of mummy guilt; logically I know that I should go out and that one evening without me won't hurt, but on the other hand the thought of my little boy sobbing for his mummy breaks my heart :(

Well, I can't speak as a mother myself (always knew I didn't want to be one). However, I do remember my mum telling me that there were times when she had sent me or my sister off on the school bus (to primary school) in the morning in tears not wanting to leave her and she was really worried about us all day. Yet when she collected us in the evening we were cheerful and had clearly got over whatever upset us quickly enough and enjoyed seeing our friends at school.
    maman wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed about my new dance group is that many women (the more fab looking ones IMO) wear dresses rather than skirts. So I'm going to plan to wear a few dresses for the next few weeks. This venue is also considerably warmer than the usual one so I'm finding jumpers too hot after a few dances.

My facial yesterday was amazing. I had a deep cleansing one with steam as I'm unhappy about blocked pores in the T zone. What I like about this salon is that they give you a full hour's attention. When the mask was on she did an arm and hand massage ( or option of foot massage) rather than disappear for 10 minutes or more. Most of all it was so relaxing I loved it. I'll go again in a month or so but meantime I'm going to do a regular exfoliating scrub after my shower to try and help things along.

I am thinking about taking a fun dress to work to change into on ceroc nights - I have some nice summer dresses from Emily and Fin that would work. It's far too energetic to want to wear a jumper, though I see the odd guy wearing them. Not generally the best dancers though, they are usually in t shirts, would overheat otherwise.

Really enjoyed my class this week, starting to feel like I am dancing rather than just practicing the steps. I feel for the beginner guys though - it's easier being a woman and being led, I get to try all sorts of things we've not learned in class because a good guy can lead you through things you don't know. As a beginner man you are stuck with having to do what you've learned and feeling awkward about asking more experienced women to dance and getting stuck for moves during the dance.

If you can find a salon that does Guinot Hydradermie facials they are really good - deep cleansing as well as hydrating. I was rather congested this month as had been neglecting my skincare routine a bit whilst focusing on doing more cooking so have to make more of an effort with the exfoliation to keep that under control.

I am off for a cycling lesson shortly then away hiking for the weekend. Going to be cold but on the positive front it doesn't look as if it is going to be wet. Some of my friends from other trips are going to be there, so that will be fun. Just got to watch the diet - the packed lunches supplied aren't great on the health front, so am going to take some of my own food to have instead and be careful about what meals I pick for breakfast and dinner.

Have a fab weekend all x
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman I think Sainsbury has a 25% off starting next week. I'm going to buy the children some underwear in the next size up, so I'm keeping an eye out.

sugar I'm looking forward to seeing you on The Chase!!! I remember when you were filming it, because my Mum was also a contestant on show, but I can now say that it was shown a couple of weeks ago and she didn't win.

ruby have a nice time tonight and make sure you have regular 'me' time. I really think it's important for both parents to be able to parent their children, not just the women. I'm lucky because OH is excellent in that sense.

I have a bit of running around today, so I'll be dressed for comfort and warmth. I have a laser consultation today for a block of sessions I bought from Groupon. Whilst I'm in the area, I'm going to do a bit of shopping. Then, DS has an opticians appointment. DS has a really high prescription and so had to have regular check ups at the hospital since he was 2. He was discharged a couple of months ago, so this will be his first appointment at the opticians.

Anyway, I'd better get going, so will be back later.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Good Morning My Lovelies

Just having a lazy morning, the cat is firmly esconced on my kneee. He's very cuddly at the moment and follows me everywhere.....worse than a toddler. I think I'm going to change his name to "Limpet".

I used to call my eldest son that because he was such a cuddly child, probably because he was poorly a lot. He was in hospital a couple of times and although I never left his side I think it must have made him a bit more "needy". My father never really understood this and often accused me of turning him into a "Mardy" (Derbyshire word) mummy's boy. This was just one bone of contention between us.

Of course I had the last laugh because my son grew up strong and healthy and something of an "Action Man" and of course I have a really strong bond with both my sons. I guess my husband's long illness and subsequent death also reinforced the bond.

Ruby. Have a really great time tonight, and I agree with Maman, even enjoy the journey, make it part of your time off. Don't worry if you come home to a tip - the sky wont fall in. Who knows your partner may actually appreciate you a bit more. Better still he might actually enjoy some time alone getting to know HIS sons.

I didn't realise you inlaws were close......I too don't think it matters if they are skinflints - surely they could step up to the plate and babysit now and again. Even just a couple of hours so you can go shopping in peace.:rotfl:

How old are the boys now. Toddlers can be such fun and a trip to the park is free!! They wouldn't even have to put their hands in their pockets.;)

Anyway, have a lovely time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport