Neighbour using my garden as storage

Options

Comments

• HarryMonkee
    Options
    We had a long term agreement with previous neighbour to store their bins at the side in my front garden as it was easiest access onto lane for collection. We kept agreement with new neighbour but they just toss all their bags over the fence and put them in bins on collection day. We live in the country with lots of wildlife and I have pets and young children.
    Asking nicely and writing letters achieved nothing. Throwing the bins and his rubbish back into his garden seemed to work, for about 2 months, then the chain appeared. I was just curious as to my legal standing.
    When people ask stupid questions, I feel obliged to give sarcastic answers.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a long term agreement with previous neighbour to store their bins at the side in my front garden as it was easiest access onto lane for collection. We kept agreement with new neighbour but they just toss all their bags over the fence and put them in bins on collection day. We live in the country with lots of wildlife and I have pets and young children.
    Asking nicely and writing letters achieved nothing. Throwing the bins and his rubbish back into his garden seemed to work, for about 2 months, then the chain appeared. I was just curious as to my legal standing.

A restraining order may be something to look at. Get legal advice.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Could you put something of your own there instead? Presumably he has to unlock them on rubbish collection day so if you have something ready, when the bins are moved, you can just put your 'items' in the vacated area that belongs to your house. You could have a kids playhouse or lidded compost bins or a little shed ultimately but just as a place holder, a tarpaulin and some boxes would be quick to install.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think they are fly tipping and there are penalties for that.

Send them a 'cease and desist' letter via your solicitor and then let them take the consequences if they don't.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    An alternative would be for the OP to make a charge for storage, but the neighbour would need to agree to this.
    I don't think you do. I think if you can prove tresspass you may be able to claim something like £250 for the 'insult' but I am not sure on the technicalities.

If you gave permission for the bins to be there then that changes things. Best thing is to write a formal letter withdrawing permission for the bins to be there. Then take appropriate measures.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably they're only chaining the bins so why not leave them (it's only an inconvenience to them, as they will have to unchain them every time they put them out, and it will show that you are being reasonable by keeping to the old arrangement) but put their bin bags back in their garden. I assume they're not chaining those!
  • HarryMonkee
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies. We are detached properties (thankfully) and the area is a sizeable one so impossible to put something in its place.
    We have gone through the 'if you litter we will withdraw the agreement' to outright giving them notice of termination of agreement letters.
    We are going down the path of replacing the fences and planting shrubbery around there but its a costly fix so will take a little time.
  • HarryMonkee
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    Presumably they're only chaining the bins so why not leave them (it's only an inconvenience to them, as they will have to unchain them every time they put them out, and it will show that you are being reasonable by keeping to the old arrangement) but put their bin bags back in their garden. I assume they're not chaining those!

I am in a wheelchair due to a car accident. He is using this to his advantage to try to intimidate me. As above reply, we tried to keep the agreement as long as possible but their behaviour didn't change.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 April 2017 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Neighbour is taking the p... It is possible to secure your garden to prevent their access?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they are chucking rubbish into your garden, and you have already withdrawn the prior agreement due to that, then I would speak to the council as simply chucking rubbish into somebody else' garden is not acceptable behaviour. Sounds like fly tipping to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure