No info and claim rejected.

Options
In the early 80’s I took out my first bank loan for a car. I definitely had PPI on it; in those days they said it was a requirement of the loan. The forms had the loan amount and the PPI amount. So I know the approximate date. I know my address. I’m fairly sure it was the TSB. Or The Yorkshire Bank. I have no details of the bank accounts as I’ve changed several times over the years and I destroyed old statements etc.

Last year I decided to apply, and both banks said that I am not owed anything.

So is there anything I can do with such little information. I didfinitely had several loans and I definitely had PPI.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do you mean they rejected your complaint or they couldn't find details?

I assume the latter, as they would be breaching DPA if they had details. In which case, game over.

If they rejected it, you can go to FOS if you disagree.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Rolyan wrote: »
    In the early 80’s I took out my first bank loan for a car. ...
    So is there anything I can do with such little information. I didfinitely had several loans and I definitely had PPI.

And it was definitely over 30 years ago.

I doubt any lender will have retained records of that vintage.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The only way to make sure there is no info left is to send a SAR to each company and see what comes back.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Rolyan
    Rolyan Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m fairly sure it was that there were no records. So it sounds like game over.

I’m just a bit surprised about all these success stories I hear of people making claims going back many years. I wonder if some of them are urban myths, as I can’t be the only one who was mid-sold PPI but doesn’t have any records.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rolyan wrote: »
    I’m fairly sure it was that there were no records. So it sounds like game over.

I’m just a bit surprised about all these success stories I hear of people making claims going back many years. I wonder if some of them are urban myths, as I can’t be the only one who was mid-sold PPI but doesn’t have any records.

People who still have active accounts with the lender will most likely have their old records stored, similarly if they have their own records or the lender happens to archive old paperwork on something like microfiche
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure