Spark energy Driving me crazy and Impossible to complain

Options
Long story short, Spark energy whom I have never knowingly been a customer of is chasing me through a debt recovery agency for a debt I don't owe. I gave notice to leave a property which was later delayed by 2 months. Unknowingly letting agency changed my supply to Spark energy from the date I was originally intended to move out before the 2 months delay. I got a letter from debt recovery agency a year after moving house with debt covering periods I was out of the property. I contacted spark via phone, explained things to them, they asked me to get meter readings from last supplier and tenancy agreement showing date I moved out. I got meter readings for them, explained to them that because I was on periodic contract I can not produce any tenancy showing date I vacated the said property. Per their own advice, I arranged for them to speak to estate agents on phone with Spark advising me of a resolution asap. I have complained with managers etc but been going round in circles with tenancy agreement demands among others. Its been nearly a year now, not sure what to do any more. All my contact with spark has been on phone. Can I proceed to energy ombudsman, how does it work? Thanks

Comments

• Autumnella
    Options
    As It's still ongoing they should have an open complaint for you and should have sent you a letter referring you to the Ombudsman after 8 weeks. It sounds like they have just closed your complaint or even never even opened one. You can still go to the Ombudsman though, explain the situation and how long it has been going on for.

Will the letting agent not provide you with written confirmation of when you moved out?
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • Hi Ruth Gyam

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Can you please email me using the details on my profile, and confirm the full postal address that we are contacting you about?

I should be able to get this sorted out for you, and if your complaint has reached a point where it needs escalated to the Ombudsman, then I can make sure you have the means to do so.

I really hope I can sort things out for you though. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:49AM
    Options
    How we got to where we are.
    Spark get their customers by paying a bung to Estate Agents to switch a rentals energy supplier to Spark whilst the property is in limbo between tenants.
    Legally, they cannot do this whilst the property is tenanted

It seems that this LA grabbed Spark's shilling the moment the original Tenancy Agreement ended, ignoring the fact that the present tenants contract was being extended, whilst Spark failed to contact the customer for the two extra months the tenant was still in residence and paying their original energy supplier, who by the way would have to return the money paid to them for the this last 2 months if Spark are successful in their claim

Forget the phone
    WRITEa letter to Spark headed Complaint, setting out the detail of this saga and pointing out that you were the legal tenant of this property with a Tenancy Agreement that covered your entire time in residence including the final two months, and as such Spark had no right to take over your energy supplies without your personal permission.

ALSO
    Ofgem the regualtor do not get involved in customer complaints, but, in this case I advise you send them a copy of your letter to Spark asking for advice.
    You won't get any, but having the legend "CC to Ofgem" on your letter to Spark, will certainly make them sit up and take notice.

Ofgems address is:
    Ofgem
    9 Millbank
    London SW1P 3GE
  • Ruth_Gyam
    Options
    thanks for the post, letting agency is not the most helpful as I am no more a tenant.
  • Ruth_Gyam
    Options
    I will as directed if the agent here is unable to help me out as a last resort. I have already written a long letter cataloging all that has happened.
  • Ruth_Gyam
    Options
    Hi Ruth Gyam

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Can you please email me using the details on my profile, and confirm the full postal address that we are contacting you about?

I should be able to get this sorted out for you, and if your complaint has reached a point where it needs escalated to the Ombudsman, then I can make sure you have the means to do so.

I really hope I can sort things out for you though. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Jenny

Email sent. Please I need quick resolution you guys have made me suffer enough. If you can't resolve, please advice quickly of any code or whatever I need to contact OFGEM.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Ruth Gyam.

The Complaints system has it's own rules - When a supplier recives a complaint from a customer, they are supposed to log it and advise the customer of it's registration number - If not resolved after 56 days from the date of the complaint, the customer has the right to go directly to the Ombudsman

But all too often as you have already found, complaints by phone or even Email are brushed under the carpet and the procedure not followed

The reason for a Written complaint delivered by Royal Mail, is that it establishes a papertrail that the supplier cannot deny and must act upon.
    Whilst it's good that the Spark rep on this site is offering help, it's in your own interests to send that Complaint letter as it sets up your path to the Ombudsman if you need it.

As post #4, Ofgem the regulator do not deal with customer complaints, but this mares nest is highly embarrassing to Spark and them knowing that the office that issues their licence to operate also know, is likely to bring a swift solution
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ruth_Gyam wrote: »
    Email sent. Please I need quick resolution you guys have made me suffer enough. If you can't resolve, please advice quickly of any code or whatever I need to contact OFGEM.

OFGEM does not deal with individual's complaints.

Either wait a response from the Spark rep to whom you have only today sent an email. or follow the suppliers complaint procedure as specified on their website.

The supplier is permitted up to 8 weeks to resolve a complaint
  • Hi Ruth Gyam

Thanks so much for your email, I have responded, and I've set out how I've fixed things. I really hope that what I've set out is suitable.

I've let you know in the email that if you have any questions or concerns that you just have to let me know.

I am also happy to take you through the correct process for escalating your complaint to the Ombudsman, should I not be able to resolve things, but I really do hope that I can work with you to put things right.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure