Recording

Options
Hi, I`m after a little advice please if anyone can help?

We have now been without Sky for 2 weeks and are managing ok with NowTv Entertainment, Netflix and I`Player etc through the NowTv box. However, I do miss being able to record (hate the adverts!!) Our only problem is we do not have a working aerial.

With what we have at the moment is there any way we could buy something to record with, or will we have to get a new aerial first? I`d be grateful for any advice as we had Virgin for 15 years and then changed straight over to Sky and I suppose we just took the recording for granted.

Many thanks

Comments

• Joe9090
    Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could use your Sky DIsh and a Freesat recorder to record standard tv channels.

This might help https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/freesat.html
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, sorry forgot to mention its a SkyQ box, which I`m sure have read doesn`t work with a Freesat recorder. Thank you for replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 November 2019 at 8:23AM
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    Hi, sorry forgot to mention its a SkyQ box, which I`m sure have read doesn`t work with a Freesat recorder.
    If you've cancelled your Sky service then you can shortly expect Sky to demand their Sky Q decoder back as it is rented.

Edited to add that Sky already requested that you "send everything back" in October. So why haven't you? You do realise that keeping the Sky Q will eventually be charged for by Sky?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76435817

A "Freesat recorder" is a decoder in it's own right, but it's available only at extra cost to what you have now...

Incidentally, you won't ever be able to record streaming services like Now TV, Netflix, or BBC iPlayer I'm afraid, but you should not need to as the programmes are available On Demand.

Just fast forward through the adverts.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Thank you for replying. My Sky Q equipment is due back by 22nd December to Sky.

Didn`t realise you could not record any streaming services, thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 November 2019 at 9:22AM
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    My Sky Q equipment is due back by 22nd December to Sky.
    So why are you asking whether it's "compatible" with a Freesat Recorder? Sky allow you to continue using the SkyQ for this extended period only because they hope you'll re-subscribe.

If you have no intention of going back to Sky, I'd return the Q now and invest in a Humax Freesat decoder as suggested in post #2.

You will obviously pay for the Humax, but you'll be able to use your existing Sky satellite dish for reception (as long as a suitable LNB is fitted)

Or just continue using the streaming services which will involve no extra outlay than you are paying now..
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Above advice is good. Streaming is watching someone else's recording - you don't record streams. So you DO want recording and you DON'T have an aerial. The answer is as Joe9090 says - a Freesat recorder. If you want nice on-demand features built into it, a FreeTime recorder. This would plug into a standard 2 feed for Sky+ or SkyHD. Since you have Sky Q, you will have a different LNB, the bit in the middle of the dish. Unless you know they installed a hybrid one, you would need it changed back.
    So that leaves you needing someone with a ladder, whether to work on the dish, or install an aerial.
    If you go aerial, get a Youview box, for recording Freeview, and nice on-demand integration. A cheap way to do this is to get onto Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, or whatever locally, and find someone with a BT TV box for sale. Far cheaper than buying from the shops.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Thank you almillar, I appreciate your clarification of everything, so kind. I`m understanding better now, thank you.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    4 near identical posts whats arriving next ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure