Subterranean Garage old stone and lime damp

Options
We have just moved into a fab Victorian house. Under the garden is a man old subterranean garage. We have had it surveyed and structurally it is fine. The surveyor recommended patching up the concrete roof, which we have done.

The walls are made of old Devon stone and lime, probably around 1930’s. Someone previously rendered over it but this is coming off. They are damp but not too bad.

I wanted to patch up the walls cost effectively as we want a usable space for storing some bits and bobs. I had a quote to get it yanked for £5k but this is too much for us. Someone recommended tanking slurry but I wondered if this would damage the wall. I thought just repointing it might help? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't hold an expectation for anything subterranean to provide adequate dry storage. It's a high risk and there just won't be any guarantee unless it's fully waterproofed/warm.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • blobbi
    blobbi Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold an expectation for anything subterranean to provide adequate dry storage. It's a high risk and there just won't be any guarantee unless it's fully waterproofed/warm.

Thanks, no as above we are not expecting it to be fully dry, just better than it currently is. My question is really about tanking slurry on stone walls with lime and if this is a good idea or not. Ta. R
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, because it isn't good for the walls and it still won't be dry, because the floor is also damp and there will consistently high humidity and there will be cold surfaces for condensation to settle, regardless.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    No, because it isn't good for the walls and it still won't be dry, because the floor is also damp and there will consistently high humidity and there will be cold surfaces for condensation to settle, regardless.

What she said! We have a stone/lime mortared undercroft beneath our house and have accepted it for what it is - a cold, damp place that's fine for keeping anything that's not susceptible to cold or damp, lol! I'd store the wine there, but till DH gets round to building some gates, it's accessible from the lane ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    Tanking slurry will probably degrade the sandstone over time.

Personally damp course and screed the floor, and build a treated timber frame inside and line the entire thing with the plastic-style tanking, moisture resistant boards/marine ply (depending on what finish you want, storage or usable space?). There's no real cheap solution to this, but you need to be careful with what you apply to the stone.

Remember you need to line all the floors/walls, and probably insulate the roof too and provide adequate ventilation to prevent condensation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure