Private car damaged in work car park

Options
My car was parked in the works car park. A work mate reversed a company car into it causing damage to body work and paint etc.
The car park is private property but does allow access to the public. There is a sign however saying the company take no responsibility for damage or theft on the premises.
Does this mean that I can’t get my employer to pay for the damage to my car?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The employer aren't liable on the basis of the provision of parking space.

However, their insurance would certainly cover the company car that hit you.
  • Tokk
    Tokk Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Have you asked work about it?

The insurance policy on a company vehicle will almost certainly be in the company's name, you'll have to ask for details.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your claim is against the driver, who will undoubtedly pass it on to the insurer. Nothing to do with the employer.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 April 2019 at 3:42PM
    Options
    The sign in easy terms means that the company are not liable if another employees car hits your car, someones bicycle scrapes down the side or if your car is broken into etc - they are not claiming to be looking after your vehicle but say you can park there if you assume all risks.

However, that doesn't mean tough luck as the company vehicle will (hopefully) be insured and, assuming the employee was entitled to drive the car, the business car insurance will cover it.

I am not sure if 'nothing to do with the employer' as previously suggested is correct, they will be involved in the same way as they would be involved if a company vehicle hits a car on the public highway - not financially but probably administratively. Often there is a designated person that looks after these things rather than an individual employee - but as you work for them then you may already know who it is.

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport