New House - Electricity Only

Options
Hi All,

We have moved into a new house 2 months ago. Its semi-detached 3 bed property with a garden room. Its Electricity only.

There are:
  • 3 reverse cycle air conditioners in the property (i.e. heating and cooling) (one in the garden room and 2 in the house),
  • 5 electric radiators (2 in the living room, plus 1 in each bedroom),
  • underfloor heating in the kitchen/dining room.

When we bought the house the previous owner (an electrician) told us electricity bills were averaging £120 per month (this was a lie).

Our first bill was over £400 for the month! We had used over 2000kwh in a single month.

I've spoken to the supplier to see if I can change tariffs, as I imagine I was just put on a standard one. They have advised that the only tariff available to this property is over £200 per month, due to the fact that the consumption of electricity at this property over the last 12mths was 15375kwh!! This is double the national average!

Can anyone please help? How can I bring down the usage and still keep us warm in the winter months?

Since our bill shock:
  • Underfloor heating is currently set at 15 degrees (permanent comfort)
  • Radiators are now turned off completely (however it is pretty cold still in the mornings and evenings, we are just rugging up)
  • Air conditioner is mostly just turned off

Before our bill shock (on the advice of the previous owner)
  • Underfloor heating set to 18 degrees
  • Radiators on at 22/23 degrees
  • Air conditioners (the 2 in the house) turned on overnight

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Thomas_Edison
    Options
    Did you take meter readings when you moved in and was the latest bill based on meter readings?

It sounds like you'll have 2 MPAN'S which make it very hard to compare and switch. I'd ask you supplier about getting your meter replaced so that you have an E7 meter, then you will have only the 1 MPAN and be able to switch and save much more easily
  • orangedog21
    Options
    Yes, I did have meter readings taken when we moved in - but they were lower than what they where basing the bill on. This means by submitting the actual reading I'd end up paying more!

What do you mean by 2 MPAN'S? And how can I confirm if I have 2 or 1?
  • orangedog21
    Options
    I also forgot to add, we also have a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev that we charge every day.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    What do you mean by 2 MPAN'S?
    It usually means more than 1, but less than 3 ;)
    And how can I confirm if I have 2 or 1?

If you have less than 3, then you will have either 1 or 2.
    If you have more than 1, then 2 is what you have.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • orangedog21
    Options
    Confirmed, I only have 1 supply number (1 MPAN - not 2)
    Thank you :)
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    They have advised that the only tariff available to this property is over £200 per month, due to the fact that the consumption of electricity at this property over the last 12mths was 15375kwh!! This is double the national average!

Given that the property is all electricity, that doesn't sound too bad from a pure energy consumption point of view.

I use about 20,000 kWh of gas a year and 6,000 kWh of electricity. Plus, you're also charging your car.

The problem is that a kWh of electricity is nearly four times as expensive as a kWh of gas.

Within a few years, the government is aiming for all new builds to be electric only. They better be well insulated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure