We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Best gardening tools?

Options
Looking for a nice set of gardening tools for a Christmas present (just hand fork and trowel, probably), does anyone have any recommendations for something that's going to last a long time?

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have wolf garten tools https://wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/

Had them several years and they very good quality. The beauty of these tools is that you only need one or two handles and the bottom of the tools clip on so ideal if space is a premium like a allotment shed

I got my spade from Wilkos dont sell this normal this time of year stainless steel. Shovel I also have it stainless steel, so easy to clean
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I treated myself to some Bronze tools that will not rust. Expensive but nice.

https://www.implementations.co.uk/
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nige, mate, this is MSE, not Harrods! :rotfl:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Nige, mate, this is MSE, not Harrods! :rotfl:

We can dream though, this time next year Rodders:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    We can dream though, this time next year Rodders:D

I can dream of having a better memory, so I don't leave my nicest tools out in the rain, but at my age that's probably a pipe-dream.:o

Being serious for a moment, I think Bulldog tools are usually a fair compromise between quality and price.

Best value can be refurbished old tools from country markets, which won't be cheap, but may stand the odd bit of abuse better. I have an old fork with a steel reinforced handle that has survived probably 4 lifetimes of the modern ones.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Best value can be refurbished old tools from country markets, which won't be cheap, but may stand the odd bit of abuse better. I have an old fork with a steel reinforced handle that has survived probably 4 lifetimes of the modern ones.
    Trigger's broom lasted a long time as well:D

I loved Spear & Jackson but it's long time since I bought any tools and times /quality change
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Check wilko some stores still have garden stock on sale, got some decent stainless steel tools in the past sales.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Trigger's broom lasted a long time as well:D

I loved Spear & Jackson but it's long time since I bought any tools and times /quality change

We've some 'vintage' Spear & Jackson and it's really good, like a lot of the 50 year old tools you can get at car boots etc. We also have the remains of an S&J gift set we were given maybe ten years ago - utter !!!!! I'm ashamed to say. I think the weld on the trowel gave up after a couple of years, and the fork has been bent back into shape so many times that it's only fit for turning over the cat toilet. I tend to use Burgon & Ball for the actual garden

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think some of there stuff isn't the same anymore I believe Argos sell S&J rebranded crap as well

I wouldn't touch there garden sprayer S&J last one I got had a while and didnt use it didn't work properly and ones I have had before dont last long so bought a decent Hoselock and can get parts like seals

We've some 'vintage' Spear & Jackson and it's really good, like a lot of the 50 year old tools you can get at car boots etc. We also have the remains of an S&J gift set we were given maybe ten years ago - utter !!!!! I'm ashamed to say. I think the weld on the trowel gave up after a couple of years, and the fork has been bent back into shape so many times that it's only fit for turning over the cat toilet. I tend to use Burgon & Ball for the actual garden
  • Davesnave
    edited 30 October 2019 at 4:20PM
    Options
    I have a S&J bill hook that's probably at least 50 years old. It's so special it has its own bag and fluorescent tape on the handle. :A

Sadly, since I was lured into buying one of Mr Stihl's battery chain saws, (now that was expensive!) the bill hook has become largely redundant. :o

I confessed this last summer to the guy who gave me basic training in traditional hedge laying about 9 years ago. He looked around first and then replied, "Yes, they're great, I have one too!" :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure