We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomato plant stem going yellow and bald

Options
2»

Comments

• wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DSC04438.jpg
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    DSC04441.jpg
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 May 2018 at 10:58AM
    Options
    To be honest, I don't think they are worth keeping. It sounds like they have always struggled, and I doubt you'll get much of a crop from them. You'll be better off buying some new plants from a garden centre.

What have you planted them in? If you have used soil from your garden instead of a good quality seed/young plant compost, then I'm afraid that won't have helped.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    To be honest, I don't think they are worth keeping. It sounds like they have always struggled, and I doubt you'll get much of a crop from them. You'll be better off buying some new plants from a garden centre.

What have you planted them in? If you have used soil from your garden instead of a good quality seed/young plant compost, then I'm afraid that won't have helped.

They are growing well and he seems to have healed on the bit of the stem that was affected and it kind of scabbed it over if that makes sense, the rest of it, stem and leaves are growing well and he is now one of my biggest. Even if I get no fruit I still will keep him and see what happens. I couldn't bear to throw him out (sorry I'm just too attached to him-I'm weird that way).

I wouldn't like to buy ones that have already been started as I do it for the fun factor growing them from seed and if I get fruit then it's a bonus. Granted that's not for everyone.

I started him out in potting soil, then re potted several times using home grown compost material and I make my own feed too which I give to him so he is doing good now.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    My first early bud(s) is showing now, it's so cute. I'm excited to see that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure