Could you live without cash?

Options

Comments

• mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be good if all tradesmen, self employed etc would have to be paid by card, bank transfer etc.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i was in berlin recently and there they still seem really keen on using cash! quite a lot of eating places are cash only, and apparently they have only just started accepting credit cards on the metro. the uk seems ahead of germany when it comes to being cashless even though everything in germany seems so efficient compared with the uk.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    I need to use cash for the bus and for the launderette (still need old pound coins for some of the machines!)
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I use cards as much as possible, but I also frequently use cash because I use local independent shops. It would cost the local bakery and greengrocers a fortune to take cards because most of their transactions are a few pounds. I wonder if Swedish businesses don't have to pay the card fees businesses do here, or whether they have some other alternative that means the profit on a small transaction doesn't get wiped out by fees?
    Agree with the above and all the small change I get ie copper and 5p go into the charity box on the counter. I suspect this is a good source of income for them.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How would the tooth fairy leave their money? An IOU with a credit later to the child's bank account? Talk about sucking the fun out of a loose tooth :D
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • globetraveller
    Options
    So what happens if power goes down?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • copperclock
    Options
    Yes, I could live without cash. I barely use any at all.

I pay my window cleaner by bank transfer on my phone while he's still working.

I pay my mobile beautician and my hairdresser the same way.

I pay parking by text.

I pay one of my children's schools using their online systems. The other one still requires cheques but I am hoping that this will change.

My tiny local shop takes has no minimum payment for cards (used to)

I occasionally get a hot chocolate at my evening class, which I pay for with my card or my phone (android pay) if I don't have my wallet on me

My teenagers rarely use cash either - we transfer pocket money straight into their bank accounts and they either use their debit cards in shops or, more often, to buy things online

I'd love a completely cash free society.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    I like having a few notes in my purse, its reassuring. There have been times that every cash machine I've been to has been down or internet banking doesn't work etc. Good to have cash just in case.
    There are times cash is useful - collections at work / church etc. When you give your child a few pounds to take to the school disco or to put a coin in a trolley!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2017 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Collection/sweeps/savings in work.

My food budget is draw out £100 a month and use that.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It can't be done. It can be done 99.99% of the time, but it's that other bit.

If I have £5 in my hand, I know I can buy food for many days until I can get more money sorted.

With cashless you're at the mercy of machines working, connectivity, a magnetic strip still working, hacking, systems down, banks gone under, all sorts.

I like to have £5 in my hand and know I can walk into a shop and walk out with bread, eggs, beans, spuds, cheese, milk, cereal .... and all manner of food to eat while I sort out the issue of getting more money.

If you're in a shop and a card is declined for any reason .... you're stuffed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure