Options

Comments

• F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    topdaddy wrote: »
    The heater wont work like that

Erm, yes it does...
    The fans continue to run. If the temperature drops too low or rises too much (depending on what temperature it's set at) the engine will restart.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2014 at 12:51AM
    Options
    The heater wont work like that, it would be stupid to think it would. Your not smart enough for me to talk to any more
    Mercedes have had a residual heat system in their cars for years - on a 1990s Merc C class you could press a button while the engine was off and still run the heating fan. The heating system presumably uses the way that water can circulate in a home heating system - gravity. I would presume that this is adequate for the modern systems - anyway at the moment the major drain is the aircon.

The current C class BlueEfficiency system is built by tweaking the system a bit, stronger starter motor, bit more battery capacity (though Mercs have always had high capacity batteries) and little tweaks to make it very easy to start. When it restarts it barely turns over before it has caught. I don't think there is much overhead in terms of weight, just the expense of some better componentry and management systems.

It stops when stationary, but only if various conditions are met - sufficient charge in the battery, no excessive demands, not too many restarts in a short period. It has an indicator to show when it is available.

In terms of control, Merc have a very short hold on the brake so when you release the footbrake there is about a second before the footbrake actually releases - allowing you to transfer the foot to the accelerator - compensating for the lack of auto creep that you usually have to stop rolling back while the engine is starting, triggered by the release of the footbrake. However, a double press on the footbrake provides a hold function which releases on pressing the accelerator which then triggers the restart. As the Merc foot operated parking brake is a pain in the butt, the hold feature is a Godsend. I would not use the parking brake in normal driving. though at least the new version has lost the mighty bang of the older versions' release.

Stuck on the A1 last week, slow creeping allowed about 5 restarts and then a long stand eventually caused it to time out. After a run of a minute or two at about 40mph it re-enabled and stayed off for the remainder of the stop start which lasted about 20 minutes.

When did you last have a car that didn't start properly?
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Vaux Insignia, stop start works fine and can be disabled with the eco button.

One quirk is that when stopped, the engine will start up if the door is opened, made me jump first time that happened!

B
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The heater wont work like that, it would be stupid to think it would. Your not smart enough for me to talk to any more

All my years of being a vehicle mechanic and a driver if a stop/start vehicle must be a huge lie.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2014 at 10:51AM
    Options

The heater wont work like that, it would be stupid to think it would.

Oops. Now you've just made a fool of yourself in front of everyone.

Your heater is just a fan blowing air through a core matrix of heated water.

When the car knocks off the water doesnt instantly go cold, so the fan can continue heating the car with the latent heat in the core. Once it cools down too much the car restarts, starts circulating the water again and hey presto more hot water to be used to generate heat in the car.

I didnt think this was rocket science?

I take it you treat things like torches with suspicion?

:rotfl:
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2014 at 11:29AM
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T please stop, my sides are splitting from laughing too much. In a stop start car, the heater matrix core fan will continue to supply hot air into the cabin when the engine is in eco stop mode, theres a temp sensor on the matrix, as so when the temp hits a low the engine will restart and provide hot water back to the matrix and heat the core again this is known as auto start feature (where you haven't manually depressed the clutch to engage the engine to start).
    Edit didn't sea motorguy had explained already!.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    basill wrote: »
    One quirk is that when stopped, the engine will start up if the door is opened, made me jump first time that happened!

B
    Not much a quirk but a safety feature I'd imagine. Stop/start systems are disabled as soon as you remove your seatbelt or open the car door etc. With keyless systems, like the BMW, it will switch the engine off fully rather that restart the engine.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My journeys tend to be so short the stop/start wouldn't kick in anyway, and if my journey is longer than usual it's almost always outside of rush hour traffic so again, it doesn't kick in.

I forgot to turn it off on Friday, pulled into the petrol station and didn't realise the engine had stopped until I went to pull forwards into a pump and it restarted.

It's a shame it can't be disabled completely rather than having to physically turn it off every time you start the car.
  • topdaddy_2
    topdaddy_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    The heater cannot work like that. The fans will work the heater wont as the coolant will not be circulating. That happens when the engine is running.fact. made your selves look silly. Pure mse.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The heater cannot work like that. The fans will work the heater wont as the coolant will not be circulating. That happens when the engine is running.fact. made your selves look silly. Pure mse.

Your description isn't making sense, the water pump circulates the coolant around the warm engine regulated by the thermostat, there is a second radiatior, called the heater matrix, that warm air is convected into the cabin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure