PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Options

Comments

• MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    Well we managed to survive the winter and with £200 credit on our dual fuel.
    We live in an old,late 1800s house,solid walls so no cavity insulation but we do have realy thick loft insulation and all windows and external doors are double glazed.
    The rooms are rather large with high ceilings so it's hard to heat anyway,but we had a very easy winter realy.
    I bought an electric mattress cover as although we do heat our bedroom and air our bed,the bed always felt so cold,it almost felt damp.Hot water bottles did'nt seem to help but this has been the best purchase ever.Would'nt want to do without this now and so cheap to run.
    I also bought a heated sofa throw,fantastic too,as it meant I could turn the heating off so much earlier when just sitting around.Also some little fleece throws for whenever we needed them.Thermal underwear,draught excluders,fleece dressing gown and socks all helped.
    The other extra I had to buy was a dehumidifyer,we had a bit of condensation in the kitchen,first time since we moved here.It was a bit of an outlay but I'm glad I got one as I'm shocked at the amount of water it collects.You can't expect anything else though with the cold temperatures we've had though,can you realy.
    All in all a good result,but to be honest one of the things that kept me going was coming on here in those cold days and being able to have a good natter with like minded people.I thank you all for that.
  • Sue23_2
    Sue23_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Best; Fleece blankets, on beds and to cover up while sitting in the lounge, very toastie. Also an extra layer of clothing.

Worst; Radiator Boosters, proved useless, complete waste of money, unfortunately bought 2, both now banished to the shed waiting for the spring clean out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I kept my knitted blanket by the side of my chair and once over my knees saved me often from trailing upstairs to put the heating on .I also found that although my water heating is on for two hours a day (more than enough to heat a tankful, I wash up the dishes once a day) I only put the heating on for an hour at a time to take the chill off.I never have my heating on a timer as sometimes if I have a lay-in I may not need it if I'm tucked up in bed. My winter central heating bill was only just over 100.00 which I thought quite good as I expected it to be more.Small things like putting the remaining hot water in a flask in the morning means I don't need to keep boiling up the kettle all the time .I have kept an eye on the utilities this winter more than usual and have found lots of small savings seem to add up over a period of time. An extra jumper and a bit more physical movement keeps you warm as well. My SC has been put on overnight with soups,stews ect and my kitchen is always warm in the morning. Thick curtains at the windows, and an old thin summer duvet under your sheet in bed seems to generate warmth as well. I am always on the look out for tips to keep the heat in my house, why warm the outside up. Its been a very long winter this year and I will be pleased when the spring and summer arrive. I also treated myself to a Remoska, and have rarely used my oven since they are brilliant
  • Beccatje
    Beccatje Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    The hand crocheted blankets were fab when sitting on the couch at night. Kids were even bickering over them.

4yrs old used one in her bed. over the bottom sheet, then her, then her duvet.. she would't go to sleep without it! :D

Another DD used an old feather duvet under her bottom sheet and she loved the cozy 'nest' feeling it gave her.

The newly installed coal fire was a treat this winter!!
    SOOO cozy to have the fire on! Made some lovely stews and soups on it as well.

All in all, we came through it quite well I think. :D
  • painted_lady
    painted_lady Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    OK, for me this winter I have done nothing radicaal, but the following worked/had the following acheivements.
    - arranged to get cavity wall insulation, for free.
    - had boiler/CH serviced
    - fleecy clothes for us all, including babygrows for toddler
    - making warm pans of stew/soup with left over veggies
    My winter bill was only £62 despite having the CH on what i considered loads, so very pleased with myself. Fortunately, I am the sort of person who likes to feel a breeze and dont like been too hot. I might now start a preparing for summer thread in opposed as the winter one we had last autumn, no huge bills but expenses in other areas!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must be doing something very wrong, my gas bill was £300, I never had it on all day, and the house always feels cold. :o
    I tied in the tariff before it went up too.

painted lady a 'preparing for summer' thread would be good.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »

painted lady a 'preparing for summer' thread would be good.

Any thing warmer than 17 degrees would be tropical:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • littlesnuggy
    littlesnuggy Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    I hardly turned my heating on at all (and only ever the radiator in the living room), and was nicely suprised when my electricity statement came through at under £150 from August - March! No gas in the flat, either. Even better was they owed me £130, which they returned to my account with no quibble and agreed to lower my direct debits to £25 (having put them up from £30 to £41 in the Autumn).

We have fleece blankets in the living room, wear extra layers and have an electric blanket in the bed on the 75mins setting, just long enough to get it warm before you get in and stay warm until you fall asleep.
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    We noticed a difference when our loft was insulated properly too, although we only had it done a couple of weeks ago.

Slippers were also a good idea.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gas bill was just under £200 but we`er £198 in credit with the electric
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income