IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

LINK PARKING - 'County Court Claim Form' Received

Options
jaran92
jaran92 Posts: 22 Forumite
edited 30 March 2018 at 9:55PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello,

A driver of my car was issued a PCN in later November of last year. It was for 'Link Parking' and was a private residential area. Ultimately, it was completely undeserved - the driver parked in an area in front of a property they were staying in for work which showed no signage or lines on the road. There was a sign the other side of the road some way down but that showed no indication of the area the vehicle was parked in being subject to those terms (I have plenty of photos that were taken at the time).

From that point, slightly stupidly, the ticket was ignored as it was so ridiculous and un-enforcable and subsequently was totally forgotten about.
I received a NTK from them dated the 26th December (Apparently parking charges don't rest for Christmas!) which I ignored (Please don't tell me off, I was incredibly busy!)
I then heard nothing further until now. I have actually been away with work and returned to find a 'Letter Before Claim' from the infamous Gladstones Solicitors now demanding £160. This was dated the 20th February - I just returned home a couple of days ago to find this and today I received a 'County Court Claim Form' for the charge dated yesterday...

I have read the Newbie sticky about forming a defence to a Claim Form but I wanted to just check what everyones current opinion is on how to tackle this - as there seems to be some conflicting thoughts on the posts I am reading.
Just also to note, the Claim Form shows the 'Claimant' as Link Parking Limited, but the 'Address for sending documents and payments' as Gladstones Solicitors.

What is everyones thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My thoughts are:

You need to defend this. That's all there is to it really.
    Start by doing the Acknowledgement of Service as described, in pictures, in the NEWBIES thread.

If you want any help with that then you'll need to read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.
    What 'conflicting thoughts' have you seen there?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the only conflict I can think of is defending as a driver and not as a keeper

as you have ignored all correspondence until now then that is your first decision to make , and the permission to park (or not) could be the deciding factor

either way, you should draft the defence for now based on the nearest examples linked in that NEWBIES sticky thread and post the draft on here for critique

signage may play a key part in this (or lack of) and that adds weight to a driver defence argument

POFA2012 is the only real argument for a keeper defence

LINK PARKING comes up regularly for court claims so read a few of those too
  • jaran92
    Options
    Hi Keith,

Thank you - I'll go through the acknowledgment of service now. And then will start a draft defence and post back here for thoughts.

When I say conflicting thoughts - bad wording - just more my confusion on the route to go down with a defence when reading linked threads - not the sticky itself.

Thanks again!
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2018 at 9:12PM
    Options
    I parked in an area in front of a property I was staying in for work which showed no signage or lines on the road. There was a sign the other side of the road some way down but that showed no indication of the area I was parked in being subject to those terms (I have plenty of photos I took at the time).

Sounds well worth defending at your local court, and we do see posters beat Gladstones 99% of the time, when they stick around and realise it's more than just sending a defence in by email to the court.

There's a bit more paperwork than that, and your evidence/photos will go with your WS, later.

No risk in defending a case, no-one should pay these. Show us your draft defence once you've done the AOS, assuming the Defendant is you, not a family member, etc.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jaran92
    edited 30 March 2018 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for your help so far. I've done my acknowledgment of service and have drafted a response. It is very much based on those already seen on the forum and in the sticky. Should I be looking at changing this more? It is all very relevant to my case and seems so well written that it seems silly to start from scratch! See below:
    Emitted
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Link Parking Ltd and First Parking Limited are both mentioned in there.

There is no mention of the October 2017 Pre-Action Protocols for Debt Claims. Did your LBC comply with that?

I think you might be able to find a more up to date, and therefore more suitable, Defence. Look at a few from the NEWBIES thread.
  • jaran92
    Options
    Oops sorry - First Parking are the firm at where I used to work! Link Parking is the company in question.

Okay thanks, I'll add something on that and i'll look through some others in the sticky and make some adjustments.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Statement of Defence
    should just be Defence
    Independent Parking Committee
    should be International Parking Community.

And if Gladstones sent a LBC in 2018, then it was probably compliant with the PAP, so not worth mentioning in a defence, IMHO.
    5. It is not admitted that on ******* the Defendant's vehicle was parked at ********.
    Is this what you really want to say, deny it was there at all? There will be evidence in the form of photos, so usually - unless your car really was not there - this will not help your defence. Do not say such things!
    5.1. The Claimant has provided no evidence, photographic or otherwise that the vehicle is indeed parked and not waiting / giving way to pedestrians or vehicles.
    Again, is this what you really want to say? If you are at all aware of the event, is it likely the car would look like it was 'giving way' i.e. in the middle of the road with a driver sitting in it? If not, don't say this.
    6. It is denied that the Defendant was the driver of the vehicle. The Claimant is put to strict proof.
    Oooh, be careful, this is court. Really? DENIED? Yet the Defendant who denies being the driver, goes on to say:
    9.1.1. At the time of the material events the signage was deficient in number, distribution, wording and lighting to reasonably convey a contractual obligation;

9.2. The Defendant avers that the signage was so woefully inadequate that even upon receiving the 'Parking Charge Notice' from the Claimant, the Defendant was still unable to find any relevant signage anywhere within the vicinity of the vehicle and had to spend some time looking for it.

9.3 At the time of the material events, there were also no signs at the entrance to the parking area.

And I read through that defence fairly closely and could find nothing at all to tell me what the event was about, or what your defence position really is. You should be saying what actually happened and what right the driver had to park there, if they did.

Talk about the fact the driver was staying there, was fully authorised to park and there was no obligation to display a permit. And that there were no signs/lines at all on that part of the road. It was not a car park, looked like an unrestricted road and any circumspect driver knows that signs on the opposite sign of the carriageway NEVER relate to the side where you are parked.

You don't deny being the driver if you were!

Either defend it honestly as the driver, so you can talk about the event and signs openly in court, or defend it as keeper (edit your opening post above so the info you gave us isn't spotted by the PPC and used against you in court) and talk about the driver in the third person and put the Claimant to strict proof of the driver's identity and that they fully complied with the POFA 2012 Schedule 4, in order to transfer liability to the keeper.

For this reason:
    received a NTK from them dated the 26th December
    I would be VERY tempted to defend this as registered keeper, and point out that the NTK cannot POSSIBLY, not even in PPC World la-la land, have been posted on Boxing Day. There is no way the PPC's office was open that day, and even if it was and some sad PPC git was churning out PCNs because they have nothing better to do in life, they cannot POSSIBLY have put those in the Royal Mail system on Boxing Day. The POFA schedule 4 even clarifies working days only, count, when talking about the date sent or served.

Therefore apart from any other failings (e.g. inadequate notice of the parking charge on sparse signage, no relevant obligation or relevant contract) the NTK is not compliant with paragraph 8 of Schedule 4 because it fails to communicate the date of sending.

When did you receive the NTK, before or after the New Year?

What date was the parking event, first week in November, or later?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jaran92
    Options
    Thanks for all that - I totally agree with you looking at it more closely that I'm not being concise. I think I'm overcomplicating what I need to be saying in my head when as you say I just need to state the facts.

I agree that this may be the better course of defending it.
    I can't remember when the NTK arrived as I was away working still around Christmas. I believe it arrived while I was away and I came back on the 2nd Jan so I suspect it was before new year.

The parking event as listed on the NTK was the 21st November - so later!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure