Making a personal injury claim after pothole road accident

Options
2»

Comments

• nerion
    nerion Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Bloody hell, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! It was maybe 15mph, so speedy for a bike, but hardly record-breaking speed. I hit the pothole and threw me off as I was overtaken by a car. The pothole was full of mud, so very slippery.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nerion wrote: »
    And yes, I was wearing a helmet.

Well that's a good start as it would have reduced any potential claim you had.

Facial scarring can have a huge pay range but obviously the upper end will only be applicable for serious life altering injuries that will require extensive surgery. For minor scarring (which I assume we're talking about here) you'll be looking at a few thousand at best. However as I pointed out above to make such a claim you'll need medical evidence that your injury will lead to permanent scarring. You also won't get anything for the shock but I assume you weren't intending to claim for this anyway.

Even if the above can be demonstrated you still have to prove the council were negligent for your claim to be successful. Essentially if they were aware of the pot holes and did nothing then you'll likely have a claim.
  • nerion
    Options
    Thanks Gavin, so what do I do now? Who should I go to?
  • Gavin83
    Options
    Bloody hell, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! It was maybe 15mph, so speedy for a bike, but hardly record-breaking speed. I hit the pothole and threw me off as I was overtaken by a car. The pothole was full of mud, so very slippery.

People are only asking questions to help establish the validity of your claim and it's nothing you won't be asked in court anyway.

In answer to your original question a 'no win, no fee' solicitor sounds like a good route to take. However I can't recommend any, although someone else might.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bloody hell, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! Who said I was going fast?! I wasn't - my bike hit the pothole and threw me off as I was overtaken by a car. The pothole was full of mud, so very slippery.

"my bicycle hit a pothole at speed" - the 13th to 19th words of your opening post.

You may well get a "Spanish Inquisition" in court, who knows?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Before you get into what and how much. The main point is if the pothole was reported and if the council had attended to it in a timely manner.
    If they have met their basic inspection requirements and the pothole hadnt been reported then there is no claim.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Gavin, so what do I do now? Who should I go to?
    I made a suggestion in post #8.
  • Gavin83
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    I made a suggestion in post #8.

And what a good suggestion it was too. Nerion, I'd suggest reading post #8.
  • nerion
    Options
    OK, shall go back to that. Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate your help. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure