PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mindful of this thread, I have just obtained another silicone trivet from a silicone square dish that has perished and split after considerable use. It split on the side, so the base was intact. These mats are very useful in the kitchen so might as well have an extra one.
    I don't think I'll replace the dish, I have a similar glass one that doesn't need a baking tray under it to stop it from warping in my hands as it's put in to the oven.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Trying not to buy magazines? As well as possibly being able to get them as part of your online local public library membership, there is another way to read without buying.

If anyone else has Amazon Prime, you can now read magazines on your Kindle or Kindle App as part of your perks. I read Good Housekeeping this afternoon. Worked perfectly.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Trying not to buy magazines? As well as possibly being able to get them as part of your online local public library membership, there is another way to read without buying.

If anyone else has Amazon Prime, you can now read magazines on your Kindle or Kindle App as part of your perks. I read Good Housekeeping this afternoon. Worked perfectly.

That is a fab suggestion and works out far cheaper than the subscriptions to 3 magazines that I was about to buy - thank you! :D:T
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope you've all had a good weekend :D

I've got a pair of jeans that I'm going to attempt to mend but I fear they may end up in the bin anyway. Well it's definitely worth a try.

The garden is doing well, various things are growing. Although I can't remember where I planted what :o so it will be pot luck what gets pulled up.

Not much else to report - had a yummy roast beef dinner from the freezer for tea.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Making do for dinner tonight with left overs from last nights dinner that DD gave me to come home with :) only got gravy to make as I have a plates of roast lamb and veg etc.

Mending : well not so much mending as making I am now up to 61 of my knitted poppies, only 29 more to go to my total of 100.

Minimised some paperwork that's been cluttering up my desk :) I can now see the surface at last .

Have a good Monday chums

JackieO xx
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    That is a fab suggestion and works out far cheaper than the subscriptions to 3 magazines that I was about to buy - thank you! :D:T

It's been pointed out to me that the magazines may not update every month. Having said that, Prime saves me a small fortune, I rarely pay postage on books or birthday presents.

I've just bought a cookbook that I think will become a real favourite. It's The Savvy Shopper's Cookbook
    This one only uses items that you can buy in discount supermarkets, which is a super idea. No fancy ingredients that you only use once and throw out five years later. No need to go to half a dozen shops to get what you want.
    Some of the ingredients would be expensive - ish if bought from a Big Four supermarket but buy the whole lot in A!di or Lid! and the money you save overall makes it all very affordable.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I made box cushions for a camper last week. Its the first time I have made any and they came out all right . I bought continuous zips which come on a roll rather than try to find the right lengths ready made.
    It was a whole day to make the first smallest cushion and then 2 more days to make the rest once I got the hang of it.
    Yesterday I mended the watering cans. The glue gun is so handy for splits and cracks . Both the roses were useless so I pulled them off and cut clear plastic replacements and drilled holes . They don't work any better than any other roses but no worse either and because they are clear, I can see if bits get caught in the holes.
    With all the rain lately, I made a new rain catcher for the greenhouse. This was an old rubber watering can rose without the actual sprinkling bit,a piece of plastic pipe and a bucket. It works quite well. I did it last year on the other side of the greenhouse and linked 2 buckets via tube for overflow so will probably do the same with this one when I can find another big bucket.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    some more poppies knitted this morning total now 69 :):):)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    some more poppies knitted this morning total now 69 :):):)

Would love to see a photo of your poppies Jackie.
    Slimming World at target
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Making do for dinner tonight with left overs from last nights dinner that DD gave me to come home with :) only got gravy to make as I have a plates of roast lamb and veg etc.

Hi Jackie- when I make gravy I always make too much so freeze small amounts which is good for a meal such as the one you`re having. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure