BT Telegraph Pole Erected Outside Property!

Options

Comments

• Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    In which Utopian dream world is that in.

By definition compensation is awarded in recognition of a loss, if you can prove that a loss exists then fine but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Planet Earth, it happens all the time. Sometimes it's called a goodwill gesture, but many companies will call it compensation still.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sister in law had a bus stop erected right outside her driveway, slap bang in the middle of it and just 6 feet between the post and the edge of her property.

Surprised they didnt complain about it when the application went in. Not the fact of it blocking her driveway because she doesnt drive and the kerb was not dropped. But people at the bus stop staring in through her front window.
    And the neighbours have a driveway and dropped kerb so they have issues reversing on and off the drive.

Silly place for a bus stop. I think they would have had a party if it was a telegraph pole instead.

Something to watch if buying a house with a drive and no dropped kerb i guess.

If there is no dropped kerb then it isn't a driveway!

It is an offence to drive on the footway except via a dropped kerb and then only for the purpose of accessing the property which it serves.

All of which has very little to do with the OP's telegraph pole!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Compensation implies a fault or blame, goodwill implies no acceptance of fault or blame, just generosity and fair mindedness.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    A picture would be nice so that we can understand the situation better.

I wouldn't be happy if a pole was erected outside my house without some sort of consultation.

What would you like consultation for? Surely a letter informing you the date on which the pole would be installed should be sufficient. If you think the consultation will result in them not putting up the pole your living in a dream world.

Telephone poles, bus stops, etc are the sort of things people agree we need but aren't happy when it's outside their own property. As long as it's someone else's problem they don't care. It's tough really, the spot outside your house would have been selected for a reason.

Where I used to live had a telephone pole, a bus stop and a streetlight outside it and it wasn't a problem at all.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    What would you like consultation for? Surely a letter informing you the date on which the pole would be installed should be sufficient. If you think the consultation will result in them not putting up the pole your living in a dream world.
    Some people just lie down and let big companies ride roughshod over them, others are a bit braver and try to get them to change their minds.
    Telephone poles, bus stops, etc are the sort of things people agree we need but aren't happy when it's outside their own property. As long as it's someone else's problem they don't care. It's tough really, the spot outside your house would have been selected for a reason.
    It's not tough at all, these thing are needed but often they can come to some middle ground with a bit of negotiation.
    Where I used to live had a telephone pole, a bus stop and a streetlight outside it and it wasn't a problem at all.
    I wouldn't move to a house with a bus stop outside, to each their own though. I suppose it's lucky that there's people like you who will accept this sort of thing it makes it easier for people like me to get big companies to choose another spot.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    You're forgetting the woods, lakes, acres of green space. Field of horses at the end of my road and uninterrupted views of the woods at Woburn. What's the betting you've never even been to MK? Still, you probably couldn't afford to live in my road anyway.

It's all very well for a town to have so much open space but it can come at a cost of increased distances when needing to get around the town - the town is fairly and squarely aimed at people who primarily get about by car. To me the mark of a good city or town is how easily you can get about either on foot or by train/metro for larger cities.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    It's all very well for a town to have so much open space but it can come at a cost of increased distances when needing to get around the town - the town is fairly and squarely aimed at people who primarily get about by car. To me the mark of a good city or town is how easily you can get about either on foot or by train/metro for larger cities.

Not true. Frequent and plentiful bus services. "Boris" bikes you can collect and use for a small fee. Google about the redways - you can walk/cycle/horseride without ever having to cross a main road. All main "grid" roads are dual carriageways so traffic, for the most part, flows freely.

Don't worry - residents are used to others passing judgment when they have no clue what the place is actually like.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there really a 'Pole Objection Team'?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • societys_child
    Options
    Some people just lie down and let big companies ride roughshod over them
    Erecting a pole, on the highway, is not "riding roughshod" over anyone.
    If a pole is needed in that location, to hold the wires up, where are they supposed put it. Does the op own the road outside his property?.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Options
    It's not tough at all, these thing are needed but often they can come to some middle ground with a bit of negotiation.

What middle ground? Placing it outside someone elses house instead? Exactly my point, you expect these facilities but not if they're outside your own property.

As I said, if you expect a company such as BT to move a pole just because you object your living in a dreamworld. They'll have selected that location for a very specific reason and frankly they've no legal obligation to move it. They'd no doubt listen to you just to come across as 'fair' but they wouldn't be moving it.

As others have stated they can legally place it on your property if needed. I very much doubt placing it on a piece of land you don't even own will be any trouble at all.
    I wouldn't move to a house with a bus stop outside, to each their own though. I suppose it's lucky that there's people like you who will accept this sort of thing it makes it easier for people like me to get big companies to choose another spot.

Well it was my parents house so I didn't have much say in the matter and as far as I'm aware it was there when they moved in. My point was I'm not really sure what issue people have with a bus stop, in the years I lived there it caused no problem.

And once again, a company wouldn't choose another spot just because you asked them to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback