what is 188866??

Options
what is all this 18866 etc numbers that i have seen flying around the forum? this is my first post on here so please be gentle lol

Comments

• Smartasss
    Options
    You will learn all about it by visiting their website - a Google search on 18866 will find it.
  • chateau42
    Options
    It is amazing, hope it lasts! ::)
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • allthatmularky
    Options
    Its here https://www.18866.co.uk - basically its an override phone service.
    In a nutshell - if you've BT line (can be using TalkTalk,Onetel as an OSP) you can preface all calls with 18866 and then the area code and get calls anytime (peak/off peak) for just the connection charge - unfortunately this is an extortionate 1p  :D yes £0.01. I've made calls of over two hours and being charged a penny.
    If you're cute (sharp rather than looks  ;)) - you pay paid BT £10.50 by DD, use 18866 during peak times and sign up to https://www.TalkTalk.co.uk who provide 12 months of free calls offpeak (weekdays and allw/e) on their Option 1+. At present TalkTalk will give you £10 for signing up - if someone refers you and £25 to the referrer.
    Its easy to sign up to 18866 and you can view your bills on line. Again TalkTalk is sign up online and they contact BT and inform you of when you go 'live' with them.

If you want a code for TalkTalk private message me ( little icon top left, with envelope) and I'll send you a code, my £25 is being donated to charity. If you want help on any of the areas, just ask there's some great advice about.  
  • gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can you use 18866 with talk talk?
    as it states on their site.
    "TalkTalk is provided on the basis that you use TalkTalk as your sole calls provider on your line."
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    I do ;D
    604!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • FieryBlondeScot
    Options
    so just sign up to talktalk to get the free 10quid? cos all uk calls are free with 18866 so what would be the benefit of talk talk in the equation?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    so just sign up to talktalk to get the free 10quid? cos all uk calls are free with 18866 so what would be the benefit of talk talk in the equation?

Advantages of signing up to TalkTalk include:

1. Signing up gets you £10 (see my signature for people offering referrals including me!)

2. Calls between TalkTalk-->TalkTalk customers are free all the time.

3. Calls on 18866 are not free (there is a connection charge!)

4. You can choose to have 30 minutes of free calls to mobiles for a year when joining TalkTalk (rather than the free evening/weekend calls) which may be "worth" more to you

5. If you sign up with http://www.linemypocket.co.uk - I believe you can get an extra £11 in cashback (just remember to get someone to refer you and enter their referral code/voucher as wel) - this equals £21 cashback in total then

Regards
    Sunil
  • weatherwax_2
    Options
    cos all uk calls are free with 18866 so what would be the benefit of talk talk in the equation?

Further to Sunil's always excellent advice ;D the trick is to:

1. Use 18866 for all UK calls between 8am and 6pm - just 1p to connect then free.

2. Use Talktalk between 6pm and 8am eves and weekends - totally free, although free all the time to another Talktalk user.

One thing that does puzzle me is the subject of pre-programming numbers into my landline phone. Would I be right in thinking that I can't pre-programme numbers with the 18866 prefix, ie that I have to dial the entire number every time I use 18866?

A small inconvenience considering the massive savings, but it does render my handset directory redundant as I often make calls during the day.
    'Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy'.

H L Mencken
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Further to Sunil's always excellent advice ;D the trick is to:

1. Use 18866 for all UK calls between 8am and 6pm - just 1p to connect then free.

2. Use Talktalk between 6pm and 8am eves and weekends - totally free, although free all the time to another Talktalk user.

and for mobile calls, use:

1899 during the week and 18866 during the weekend.

Unless you know the person you are calling has a T-Mobile/Vodafone number in whih case using BT or TalkTalk is cheapest on weekday evenings (+ you can make 10/11 mobile numbers part of your F&F/Calling Circle numbers now - for an even lower price)
    One thing that does puzzle me is the subject of pre-programming numbers into my landline phone. Would I be right in thinking that I can't pre-programme numbers with the 18866 prefix, ie that I have to dial the entire number every time I use 18866?

A small inconvenience considering the massive savings, but it does render my handset directory redundant as I often make calls during the day.

It depends on how you use your landline phone - either create two entries for each person - one prefixed with 18866 and one not - or don't use the directory when you want to prefix calls with 18866...

Alternatively get something like the Orchid dialer and let that add prefixs automatically, whenever its needed/programmed too

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family