Australia

Options
Has anyone ever had any great flight deals to Australia (any part) that they can share on? Like the best places and times of year to look.

Thanks

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 November 2019 at 3:07AM
    Options
    skyscanner will give you all airlines and prices.
    Generally it's cheapest the longer you book ahead - up to 1 year. You may be lucky with occasional flight sales but this is riskier as it's subject to market forces and may not happen.
    In my experience it seems to be cheaper midweek rather than weekends or Fri/Mon. Deffo avoid start and end of school holiday periods, not forgetting that private and Public schools often differ from state school holiday dates. And avoid Christmas / New Year too.
    A return to Sydney for 2 weeks in Feb next year is still under £700 - bargain!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,750 Forumite
    Options
    If you use skyscanner to check prices slways book directly with the airline. This saves so much trouble if things go wrong with connections or time changes.
  • Ngozi
    Ngozi Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What class do you usually fly in?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    google flights is always worth a considered look.
    Try Kayak & Momendo as well.

Way before the seats become available, have your preferred route/airline/stopover planned out.
    Once you've done that, check the flights on a daily basis, to see how the prices are looking. As the date for your flights becoming available gets closer, keep looking for any pricing trends.
    If all goes to plan, on the date that your flights become available, log on, get them booked and sit back, relax and reward yourself with a rewarding beer.

A couple of other pointers for you - find out what time the airlines "load the flights" onto their system, for example (say) Qantas will load their flights at (say) midnight Aussie time, not midnight UK time.
    If you have the time to do it, also look at the cost of the flights ex -eu. There is the obvious cost of the positioning flights and possibly a hotel stay, but the potential savings go from barely to absolutely huge as you go from the back of the plane to the front.
    Some of the Chinese Airlines are offering very, very competitively priced flight to Upside Down Land .........if that appeals to you.
  • cjdew
    cjdew Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all, we fly economy to the person who asked

I saw air China seem to be very very cheap compared to others, not sure why? Maybe to encourage a one day stop over there?

I found £500 per person return to Sydney so far with air China

I tried really hard to get the Qantas centenary sale but I missed all the chances as they sold. They only now do £660 return.

We really want to go and people have told us there are absolute gems out there for Australia compared to previous years but they said you just hunt through online. I guess I will start with Skyscanner :)
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options

I saw air China seem to be very very cheap compared to others, not sure why? Maybe to encourage a one day stop over there?

I tried really hard to get the Qantas centenary sale but I missed all the chances as they sold. They only now do £660 return.

We really want to go and people have told us there are absolute gems out there for Australia compared to previous years but they said you just hunt through online. I guess I will start with Skyscanner :)

& then book directly with the airline, unless there is a very considerable reason to use an OTA :beer:.
    £500 with Air China doen't look to shabby - check out this link from Secret Flyer. If your dates match up, they've got LON - SYD from the low £400's.

p.s. many people think that Chinese Airlines are heavily subsidised by the Chinese government.
  • Cameraman55
    Options
    Can confirm skyscanner is the way to go to find good deals.

Got a nice one for 750 two years back, didn't even book too far in advance. Of course, the longer you wait, the higher the prices. I've seen prices as low as 450 per person.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    I've always flown Royal Brunei - it's generally one of the cheapest - book direct with the airline. Now they only make one stop en route to Melbourne (in Brunei) it's usually a slightly shorter flight time. Dreamliner planes are very comfortable, lovely cabin crew and huge variety of meals to choose from.
  • Jasonh2015
    Options

My friend used air china about 2 years ago, might have changed now, but all the movies were in Chinese. it was £600 and he had a 12hr stopover in Beijing both ways!!

On the other hand, i find good prices with Singapore Airlines, i normally go over new year for about a month, have done for the last few years.

One year i paid £680 odd, other i've paid up to £1200 it's hit and miss. I recently booked and it was £1092, but i am going at peak season all with Singapore.

Best luck on your travels, you'll love Australia!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure