IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

For the clever minds on here

Options

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Johnersh wrote: »
    I'm not sure you do :)

There is no requirement under the GDPR to have an opt in process. You can process data without having any such process and without falling foul of the regulations.

Many direct marketing companies are adopting a double opt-in to avoid the risks if substantial fines. In practice there may not be huge differences - you contract with a parking company that uses your data in association with its business. The thing is, lots of businesses are interpreting the exact requirements differently.

The correspondence with addresses that are years out of date ought to cease though :)

OK, I am not trying to argue with you but the first letter
    I received was from BMW who stressed that to receive
    information etc and third party information, I need to
    OPT-IN

Are BMW not interpreting GDPR correctly ??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    An over abundance of caution. But also marketing mailshots are prone to being misused or not kept up to speed as well as they might be.

BMW are on a double opt in. I've had a call and an email (lucky me). In contrast, my client database includes an opt out (similar to requirements anyway) but no new opt in.

This isn't unhelpful, if you have the time:
    https://www.signupto.com/news/digital-marketing/gdpr-double-opt-in-and-re-consent/
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Johnersh wrote: »
    An over abundance of caution. But also marketing mailshots are prone to being misused or not kept up to speed as well as they might be.

BMW are on a double opt in. I've had a call and an email (lucky me). In contrast, my client database includes an opt out (similar to requirements anyway) but no new opt in.

This isn't unhelpful, if you have the time:
    https://www.signupto.com/news/digital-marketing/gdpr-double-opt-in-and-re-consent/

Thanks John for that, interesting read

The jigsaw is not really complete and confusing

Collecting information about your
    customers !!!8211; small business checklist
    Data Protection Act

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1584/pn_collecting_information_small_business_checklist.pdf

I can only count PPC's being small businesses

It still appears that they must give a person the choice
    of Opting-in or doing nothing which means there is no
    agreement to pass on personal information

Of course, we all know that the DVLA are allowed to give
    out information currently but surely the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) effective 25th May 2018 takes over from any previous data protection act that POFA 2012 relied upon
    Who has OPTED-IN with the DVLA

The GDPR is somewhat ambiguous
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    If a debt collector is acting as the agent of the creditor, does this come under the GDPR? The GDPR surely can't be used to prevent genuine creditors from pursuing genuine debts via third party agents (which these are until the debt is held non-existent/unenforceable)?
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If a debt collector is acting as the agent of the creditor, does this come under the GDPR? The GDPR surely can't be used to prevent genuine creditors from pursuing genuine debts via third party agents (which these are until the debt is held non-existent/unenforceable)?

'Genuine' seems to be the operative word. Because until a debt is adjudicated (or agreed) as owed, there can be no 'genuine' creditor - surely?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They don't rely on consent to get your data in the first place. So suggesting consent is needed to further process it doesn't seem likely.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nope you're all still focussing on the opting in and out. That's key to marketing perhaps, but really not the focus here.

If I read it correctly, the need to process data for the purposes of law or contract is what the PPC will rely on. See link below at 1(b) and (c).

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-6-gdpr/
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think for a non POFA NTK, the PPCs would rely on 'legitimate interests' in 1(f).

Neither of these (b or c) can apply if non-POFA and the keeper wasn't the driver, so not a party to any contract:

(b) processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract;

(c)processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject;
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • kryten3000
    kryten3000 Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Consent is a red herring if a company has another reason to hold and process your data.

Where it gets interesting is the removal of the £10 for a SAR - so you can demand all the information held about you for free and in addition as others have already mentioned, not correctly updating information when informed of an address change, for example, could result in large fines.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can someone post the direct link that clarifies that a SAR is free, please?

I want to start making plans for a SAR bomb in EVERY case. What I plan is that every single appellant here, and everyone handling a claim or set aside or debt letters, does a SAR as a matter of course. Day in day out, all the time, to pee them off and take their time, and expose evidence that might help appeals/defences, of course.

The despicable private parking 'industry' deserves this as an ongoing attack by consumers.

What does everyone think about a second string to the SAR bomb bow, would there be grounds to also, always throw a SAR at the principal as well, e.g. Tesco every time we see a Highview PCN, Hospitals every time we see a NHS Trust PCN, etc.

Are there legs in that, or is the data processor the PPC only?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure