Thailand July 2019

Options

Comments

• shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OH and I just returned from our first trip to Thailand, covering BKK, Chiang Mai, Ao Nang where we did plenty of island hopping and back to BKK for a few days before returning home to Edi.

Flights with Etihad were £360 pp from Edi, flights with Air Asia were about £40ish pp for each segment within the country which included seat pick, hold luggage and a snack. Accomodation differed from a Holiday Inn in BKK (highly recommended btw), guest house in Chiang Mai and a resort type place in Ao Nang for 10 days. We staggered the cost over the past 6 months or so hence we didn't return with a huge bill lol. Taxis are cheap compared to UK and Tuk Tuk you can normally barter quite hard and it's so much fun - the sights, sounds and smells passing the markets etc. We got taxis from all airports to our accommodation - getting from BKK airport to our hotel there took over an hour each time due to terrible congestion which seems the same whatever time of day but never cost more than £12 which is ridiculous when it costs the same in Edi for a 10-15 min ride into town here lol.

I would recommend a day trip to Ayutthaya from BKK (tremendous temples). Wife did a cooking class in Chiang Mai which she loved and we both enjoyed visiting an elephant sanctuary near the city too. When in Ao Nang, we really loved Koh Lanta, and a day trip to Phuket (the weather on both days couldn't have been better with clear blue skies). We managed to barter for a 70% discount from a vendor in Ao Nang for 3 separate island hopping excursions which were worth it - not sure I'd say the same paying full price but you'll roughly receive the same as you'll be travelling in the low season.

Like yourself when you go, we were there during the rain season but it really wasn't as bad as we expected. It tends to be quick, violent storms which didn't take long to pass. Longest I think we endured was a big thunderstorm late at night in Ao Nang which lasted a few hours - it's not like UK where it can rain non-stop for days lol. Make sure to take a good quality poncho (you can buy Frogg Togg's every so often from amazon for £12-15 as what we paid few months ago) and breathable clothes and a couple pairs of comfortable lightweight shoes/trainers as the heat and humidity is immense. A hat is good idea too though you can buy them there cheaply (I got a straw hat for 100 Baht/£2.50 at a market in BKK which lasted the trip). Take suncreams and repellents with you as they can be expensive in Thailand since they're imported. Also, if doing island hopping, take zip lock bags for your electronics - I didn't and regret it - I fell in the sea off a long tail boat after we got hit by a large wave side-on and my phone sadly short circuited and consequently died (fortunately it didn't cost too much but a pain none the less). Everyone who fell in (about 20 of us) were fine but there were a few peeved people who weren't expecting to be chucked into the sea lol.

I'd recommend trying to establish how much money you'll spend and take that in £'s to exchange on the streets for Baht. There's literally hundreds of vendors all over the cities and towns offering near-spot (sometimes better) rates. We took £700 and exchanged when we needed and lasted us almost to the penny for the trip, and probably another £250-300 on our Clarity CC where restaurants and shops would accept a CC (most places we went was cash only).

We really enjoyed our trip and felt we packed quite a bit in. We're hoping to do Vietnam and Cambodia for 3-4 weeks next year. Enjoy the trip - it's a wonderful country with great people!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shapala wrote: »
    OH and I just returned from our first trip to Thailand, covering BKK, Chiang Mai, Ao Nang where we did plenty of island hopping and back to BKK for a few days before returning home to Edi.

Sounds like a perfect combination of places for a Thailand trip. Ao Nang is currently my favourite beach destination as it's not too over-developed, but not too quiet either and is a good base for exploring the islands of the region.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a hire car to get the most out of your holiday.

Loads of people will talk down the idea saying Thailand isn't safe to drive in but as long as you are confident you will have no issues and it will allow you much more freedom.
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Sounds like a perfect combination of places for a Thailand trip. Ao Nang is currently my favourite beach destination as it's not too over-developed, but not too quiet either and is a good base for exploring the islands of the region.

Indeed....excellent base to explore the islands and plenty of restaurants of differing cuisines. Some of the best food we had in the country were in Ao Nang.
  • holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just catching up with all these replies. Thanks for all the information really appreciated.
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    I presume I won't be able to book flights for a while yet. Should I look out for any airline sales? I seem to recall BA one around December.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I presume I won't be able to book flights for a while yet. Should I look out for any airline sales? I seem to recall BA one around December.

July is fairly low season for Thailand so I wouldn't expect the airline sales to be much cheaper than their regular rates but it can't hurt to keep your eyes open and book when you see a good deal.

I'm a BA frequent flyer for Europe and to the US but I tend to give them a miss when flying to SE Asia as other airlines give better service and/or prices. I would look at Thai or EVA for flying direct or Emirates, Ethiad or Qatar for stopovers (and useful for services to regional UK airports).

The direct flights are about 12 hours so many people prefer to stretch their legs for a couple of hours in the middle east at the half way mark. If your budget can afford premium economy then non-stop becomes more attractive.

Everyone's body clock is different but I prefer flights which arrive in BKK between mid-afternoon to early evening which allows you to fresh up, have dinner then get to bed. Arriving early in the morning can be tough as you need to stay awake all day.

I usually treat myself to a decent central hotel in Bangkok for my first 2-3 nights. As mentioned above, you can get some incredible 4* and 5* hotels for around £100 a night (and even £50 will get you something very good). After that I tend to downgrade my accommodation to £20-30 but even at that price you can get some fantastic value rooms for less than a dodgy B&B back home.
  • holidaysforme
    Options

Flights with Etihad were £360 pp from Edi, flights with Air Asia were about £40ish pp for each segment within the country which included seat pick, hold luggage and a snack. Accomodation differed from a Holiday Inn in BKK (highly recommended btw), guest house in Chiang Mai and a resort type place in Ao Nang for 10 days. We staggered the cost over the past 6 months or so hence we didn't return with a huge bill lol. Taxis are cheap compared to UK and Tuk Tuk you can normally barter quite hard and it's so much fun - the sights, sounds and smells passing the markets etc. We got taxis from all airports to our accommodation - getting from BKK airport to our hotel there took over an hour each time due to terrible congestion which seems the same whatever time of day but never cost more than £12 which is ridiculous when it costs the same in Edi for a 10-15 min ride into town here lol.

I would recommend a day trip to Ayutthaya from BKK (tremendous temples). Wife did a cooking class in Chiang Mai which she loved and we both enjoyed visiting an elephant sanctuary near the city too. When in Ao Nang, we really loved Koh Lanta, and a day trip to Phuket (the weather on both days couldn't have been better with clear blue skies). We managed to barter for a 70% discount from a vendor in Ao Nang for 3 separate island hopping excursions which were worth it - not sure I'd say the same paying full price but you'll roughly receive the same as you'll be travelling in the low season.

Like yourself when you go, we were there during the rain season but it really wasn't as bad as we expected. It tends to be quick, violent storms which didn't take long to pass. Longest I think we endured was a big thunderstorm late at night in Ao Nang which lasted a few hours - it's not like UK where it can rain non-stop for days lol. Make sure to take a good quality poncho (you can buy Frogg Togg's every so often from amazon for £12-15 as what we paid few months ago) and breathable clothes and a couple pairs of comfortable lightweight shoes/trainers as the heat and humidity is immense. A hat is good idea too though you can buy them there cheaply (I got a straw hat for 100 Baht/£2.50 at a market in BKK which lasted the trip). Take suncreams and repellents with you as they can be expensive in Thailand since they're imported. Also, if doing island hopping, take zip lock bags for your electronics - I didn't and regret it - I fell in the sea off a long tail boat after we got hit by a large wave side-on and my phone sadly short circuited and consequently died (fortunately it didn't cost too much but a pain none the less). Everyone who fell in (about 20 of us) were fine but there were a few peeved people who weren't expecting to be chucked into the sea lol.

I'd recommend trying to establish how much money you'll spend and take that in £'s to exchange on the streets for Baht. There's literally hundreds of vendors all over the cities and towns offering near-spot (sometimes better) rates. We took £700 and exchanged when we needed and lasted us almost to the penny for the trip, and probably another £250-300 on our Clarity CC where restaurants and shops would accept a CC (most places we went was cash only).

We really enjoyed our trip and felt we packed quite a bit in. We're hoping to do Vietnam and Cambodia for 3-4 weeks next year. Enjoy the trip - it's a wonderful country with great people!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this information. It's exactly the sort of thing I need to know. You sound like you had a wonderful trip. How long were you there for?
    Happy planning for your next adventure.:)
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    St_95 wrote: »
    Me and the OH travelled to Thailand for the same duration last July/August. We flew from Manchester to Bangkok, return.

We spent the first night in Bangkok, four nights in Chian Mai (beautiful place), two nights in Krabi and two nights in both Koh Samui & Koh Phangan. Finally, we spent another night in Bangkok on the way home.

It was the perfect combination of city (Bangkok & Chiang Mai) and beach (the rest).

We flew between Bangkok & Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai & Krabi and finally Surat Thani (close to Koh Phangan) & Bangkok. The flights were very cheap, we booked around December for the following July. In terms of airlines, we flew Thai Airways, Lion Air & Thai AirAsia; all were excellent and cost no more than 20 GBP each including baggage etc.

Between the islands we used ferries and coach travel. Again, very cheap and convenient. You can either book this at resort or on a website such as "Ferry Samui . com" (i can't post links as a new user).

Hope this helps, any questions just ask!

And finally, you will leave Thailand with a new favourite holiday destination! To put it simply... It is a beautiful Country!

Brilliant thanks. From the information on here, flights are probably going to be very reasonable.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flights with Etihad were £360 pp from Edi . . .

Etihad are stopping their Edinburgh flights later this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure