Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    We didn't get any money in today :( but I had just enough to buy the week's food. I spent £77 which I was pleased about :T.

It's not easy keeping the cost so low for five people , but we don't buy cakes, chocolate, biscuits, crisps, sweets, juice, squash or fizzy drinks. It's good for our health and waist lines not to buy that stuff. But we don't buy healthy but expensive things either like olive oil or avacados, it's vegetable oil and value spinach instead. Me giving up cokes is helping to keep costs down. Also buying Tesco toothpaste and mouthwash for 50p each is helping, they're dental association accredited too :).

I do do a top up shop on Saturdays of fruit and cheese, plus we always need more milk by Monday.

We finished another small job and sent out another invoice today so that's four outstanding now!

I feel a bit rough today, my head feels too heavy for my neck, my legs feel like lead, and I feel really tired :(. So I may ring in sick for my volunteering tomorrow. I'll see how I feel in the morning after an early night.

It's been a bit drizzly today but it's good for the garden I suppose :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks for the info on the mouthwash.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks for the info on the mouthwash.

Thanks Beanie. The dental stuff is great value, it's amazing how much money you can save if you put your mind to it :T.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Thanks Beanie. The dental stuff is great value, it's amazing how much money you can save if you put your mind to it :T.

It is.
    I have been using corsodol on the dentists recommendation but it is so expensive :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    i don't know how you stay so calm. i went se last year and still panic about pipeline and cash flow and that's with dh having regular paid employment. if it were both of us, i'd find it crippling
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    i don't know how you stay so calm. i went se last year and still panic about pipeline and cash flow and that's with dh having regular paid employment. if it were both of us, i'd find it crippling

I think I'm used to it INOD because we've both been self employed for 25 years. But I am stressed at the moment. My hair is falling out and my teeth feel constantly clenched :(. Maybe it's the stress that's making me feel unwell today :(.
  • beanielou
    Options
    I think I'm used to it INOD because we've both been self employed for 25 years. But I am stressed at the moment. My hair is falling out and my teeth feel constantly clenched :(. Maybe it's the stress that's making me feel unwell today :(.

Sadly it could be :(

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No wonder you feel out of sorts, HH:kisses3:. The stress level caused by cashflow when you've a family to feed and care for must be immense, especially as things are not in your own power to remedy. I hope some of the tardy payers will do the decent thing and send some money your way today
  • beanielou
    Options
    Positive money vibes your way.

• elizabethhull
    Options

I'm sure stress doesn't help, making you more susceptible to viruses. Hope you get your monies in soon.

Carbootcrazy - my elder daughter went to Lady Dinah's cat cafe in London recently (it was fabulous, apparently), and her cats knew instantly she'd been 'cheating' on them with other cats, and wouldn't have anything to do with them for hours !!

beanielou - I also tried Corsodyl for a while, but it is horrendously expensive. You can never be sure whether it's worth it because, as with all health-related things, you can't run the experiment both ways.

Bye for a week, HHOD, am always off the grid on holiday. I expect to find 5 million posts when I come back (exaggeration), and 700 emails (regrettably NOT exaggerated!).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback