Testing Trailer Electrics - Update

Options
Pixie5740
Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 16 May 2018 at 3:02PM in Motoring
This morning I noticed that the lights on my bike carrier weren't coming on even though the bike carrier is connected to my towbar electrics. The set up has been working fine until now so how do I test to find out if it's the car or the carrier that's at fault? Yes I could plug the bike carrier into someone else's car but if that's not an option what else do you suggest?

Comments

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Clean all the connections thoroughly. They tend to collect a lot of dirt.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plug somebody else's lightbar/trailer into your socket?

Spend a few quid on (or borrow/beg/steal) a tow socket tester?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253497606678

Use a multimeter?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    I found on the plug from the bike carrier side, the wires behind the pins came loose fairly easily, so it's worth opening it to check if it's easy enough to do (normally you unscrew the end it and splits in half).

A lot of garages/MOT places are able to test them if you are having problems too.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I remember the fun and games we used to have with trailer electrics, usually it was a loose connection in the plug on the trailer side.

If none of them are working it's likely the common earth, open the plug up and check for loose/free connections and if need be screw them back int.

If you've got a multi meter or continuity tester (something everyone should have imp, if just to test bulbs and fuses*) you can check to see if there is a connection between Earth and any other pins (I'd check Earth & Brake and Earth & Rear) without having to open the plug up.
    This lets you check at the very least that the earth is or is not working, and gives you a starting point to track down where any break in the connection it.

*I've got an ancient Black and Decker continuity/live wire detector that is probably the oldest bit of test equipment in my tool box (bought in the 90's), mainly used for checking fuses and bulbs.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do have a multimeter as it goes so I'll give that whirl and see if I can figure out whether it's the car or the trailer. The reason I ruled out plugging it into someone else's car is that all my cycling buddies use roof rails so I don't know anyone else with a towbar.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    I managed to work out that it's the towbar electrics that are at fault. Since I only bought the car 6 weeks ago I phoned the dealer because my car comes with a 2 year warranty. They've looked at it today and they know what the issue is but won't cover the cost under the warranty because the tow bar fitted isn't a Land Rover towbar but it is the towbar that was fitted to the car when they sold it to me.

I will need to check the details of the warranty because I'm pretty cheesed off about it failing so soon after buying it. I did use my credit card to put down the deposit so I'm wondering if I could get Visa on the case because it's not fit for purpose. What do you think? I'm waiting on the salesman calling me back.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Since I only bought the car 6 weeks ago I phoned the dealer because my car comes with a 2 year warranty. They've looked at it today and they know what the issue is but won't cover the cost under the warranty because the tow bar fitted isn't a Land Rover towbar but it is the towbar that was fitted to the car when they sold it to me.

I will need to check the details of the warranty because I'm pretty cheesed off about it failing so soon after buying it.
    I bet the warranty doesn't cover aftermarket accessories.

Is it a LR Approved Used?

I did use my credit card to put down the deposit so I'm wondering if I could get Visa on the case because it's not fit for purpose. What do you think? I'm waiting on the salesman calling me back.
    It probably just needs a couple of quid's worth of new socket to replace that one. Or maybe even just a connection or two cleaning up.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I bet the warranty doesn't cover aftermarket accessories.

Is it a LR Approved Used?

It probably just needs a couple of quid's worth of new socket to replace that one. Or maybe even just a connection or two cleaning up.

Yes, it is LR Approved Used and you're probably right that the warranty doesn't cover aftermarket accessories. It's just the latest on a series of unfortunate events since I purchased the car. Still worse things happen at sea.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    OK, so approved used warranty handbook...

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/pdfs/landrover/approved-warranty.pdf

I suspect the get-out is going to be...
    What your Approved Warranty Does Not Cover

Any component failure, damage or losses
    which occurred as a result of any accessory being fitted (unless the accessory is approved by the manufacturer for use on the vehicle and fitted according to instructions provided by the manufacturer of the accessory)
    (p9)
    and
    WARRANTY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    13 Modification to Vehicle
    If the vehicle has been modified in any way you must declare this prior to acceptance of the Warranty.
    This Warranty is designed to cover vehicles built to the manufacturer!!!8217;s original specification. If your vehicle has been modified with any non-manufacturer supplied parts that are associated to the items covered by the Warranty, we reserve the right to decline any claim that may occur due to the failure of a modified part
    (p16)

If your car has a non-LR-genuine towbar fitted, it's not really reasonable to expect LR to provide a warranty for it. Any warranty would come from the towbar fitter. Is there any paperwork for that with the car?
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Interesting. If this had happened 6 months down the line I would be more inclined to suck it up but as I've only had the car for 6 weeks and that is the towbar that was fitted when I bought it I think I shall push back on this a little bit. I'm waiting for a manger to call me back. Martin Lewis encourages consumers to complain about a lot less so I think it's worth pursuing with the dealer a little longer.

:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport