Lloyd’s closed my account for no reason

Options
I recently lost my card while out, but didn’t report it lost as I knew I had no money in the account, and none was going in. Someone used my card to go £277 overdrawn at a petrol station, which clearly wasn’t me as I’m 16 so can’t even have a car. I went into the bank to sort it and the fraud team gave me a refund. He said if anything like this happens again my account will be closed. Ive not used the account since that happened yet I have just received a letter stating my account will be closed in 60 days? Does anyone know what to do and why they’ve closed my account, I start a new job Monday?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask the bank.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • THB
    THB Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    They said that they can!!!8217;t give any information apart from that it!!!8217;s a final decision and I have 60 days to find another bank
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe switch to another during the 60 days?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Harbour_Hopeful
    Options
    At 16, an unarranged overdraft should not be granted. Any bank account designed for a child (which is what you are) should block any transaction that exceeds the available balance. Although petrol pumps sometimes use offline transactions, your card chip should contain a hard block on such purchases.

As you are not 18, it will not have any impact on your credit file, as you have not started one yet, however CIFAS could retain a fraud notice from the bank if they determine your account was used for fraudulent purposes.

On the flip side, the bank may have determined that the lack of activity on your account vs. the fraud risk (which is massive due to the previous incident you mentioned) doesn't justify keeping it opened. If this is the case, you shouldn't have a problem moving elsewhere.

I know that NatWest Adapt and Nationwide Flex One will NEVER allow a transaction to authorize in the shop. I am sure offline transactions are still allowed but if you go into minus, Nationwide won't charge or penalize you. NatWest will try to charge fees and send letters out, but once you've reminded them that you are a minor, they will remove them.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    THB wrote: »
    Someone used my card to go £277 overdrawn at a petrol station....

Police are looking for the driver of a Humvee.
  • Harbour_Hopeful
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    Police are looking for the driver of a Humvee.

They could have purchased other items at a Shell for example. If a petrol pump wasn't used, the retailer's terminal should have done an online check.

If Lloyd's allowed a minor to go overdrawn then they need a reality check and a reminder that under 18's can't be perused for debt as they can't enter a legally binding contract for credit.
  • THB
    THB Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I do not see why I should have to switch to another bank I!!!8217;ve been with Lloyd!!!8217;s since last year and have never done anything wrong, my brother works for them as a personal advisor.

The fraud team said I went overdrawn as you only need a pound in your bank to spend at petrol stations and the rest comes out after, but this is still no excuse as ive done nothing wrong and they!!!8217;ve shut my account! I!!!8217;m going to go into the bank and see if I can sort it, does anyone know if I!!!8217;ll be able to get my wage paid into someone else!!!8217;s bank while it gets sorted out?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Remember, a bank does not have to have you as a customer if they do not want you as one. They may just decide that you are not worth having as a customer, in the same way that you could choose to move accounts if you chose to.

Switch to a new account, and always keep a spare one available too.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Their bank, their rules
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 1:52PM
    Options
    I do not see why I should have to switch to another bank I!!!8217;ve been with Lloyd!!!8217;s since last year and have never done anything wrong, my brother works for them as a personal advisor.

They can decide who they do business with, and in your case they have decided for whatever reason, that they don't want to do business with you. There's no point getting worked up about it. Accept the fact of the situation for what it is and open an account with a different bank.
    The fraud team said I went overdrawn as you only need a pound in your bank to spend at petrol stations and the rest comes out after, but this is still no excuse as ive done nothing wrong and they!!!8217;ve shut my account! I!!!8217;m going to go into the bank and see if I can sort it, does anyone know if I!!!8217;ll be able to get my wage paid into someone else!!!8217;s bank while it gets sorted out?

While what the bank said would be correct for someone aged 18 and above, it is not the case for you. An overdraft cannot be extended to someone under 18. The bank messed up in allowing your account to go overdrawn. Don't worry about it, however, as it is their error. You should, however, report a lost card as soon as you are aware that it has been lost. Make sure to do so in future.

There is no point going into a branch to argue the case over the decision to close your account. The branch have absolutely no authority to override the decision. Your account is being closed and that is the end of the matter. Don't waste your time and energy. Accept the situation and move on.

No, you cannot have your wages paid into somebody else's account. Doing so would be crazy. You should have a new account open in a matter of hours. You can give your new employer these details. Your previous employer will pay your wages into the account that they hold details for. If that is your Lloyds account then you will be able to withdraw the funds and pay them into your new account. There is no issue here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure