New router and connection keeps dropping on laptop only

Options

Comments

• thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tried 1 and 44 and still had similar problem so should i try 6 and 44?

You need to make the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID's different to ensure that you are in control of the connection that your laptop makes to the router/hub.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thorganby wrote: »
    It does choose according to their website:

Sorry yes of course on Smart setup .
    That used to turning that off on setup /.
  • freebetsfreetips
    Options
    It is an older laptop - 5 years maybe. How do I change the SSIDs and what to and which do I want it to connect to?
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is an older laptop - 5 years maybe. How do I change the SSIDs and what to and which do I want it to connect to?

Read post #8

Link explains all.
  • freebetsfreetips
    freebetsfreetips Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2019 at 4:12PM
    Options
    thorganby wrote: »
    Read post #8

Link explains all.
    "Explains all" is a vast stretch. Maybe if you already know most it helps but otherwise it appears to offere very little. This was where Plusnet directed me but of very little use to a beginner.

I've probably made thinmgs worse but I've changed the name of the 2.4 and the 5 to new things, having unticked Sync with 2.4 GHz: on the settings for 5.

So does that sound at all right and what should I do now in terms of connecting and what channels should i try? Or having changed the SSIDs should I change the setting back so the router automatically chooses the channel?
  • freebetsfreetips
    Options
    So connect laptop to the 2.4 and other devices to the 5?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not 100% sure what you mean.

I get the impression this router chooses gbetween them but not sure.

Indeed it may do but it'll choose 1,6 or 11 which may already be congested. Try another channel which is not one of those. No doubt I expect the "experts" to chime in about overlapping channels if you use anything other than 1,6 or 11 but that slight overlap if those adjacent channels to what you choose are used won't stop other channels from working.
  • freebetsfreetips
    freebetsfreetips Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2019 at 5:02PM
    Options
    Is the issue of the frequency a separate one to the channels? IE, should I try one change at a time or both together or what? Have split the SSIDs and connected laptop to 2.4. is there any way of checking if it deffo wont work woith 5 though?

Edit - tried to see if 5gghz compatible but not sure. It's a Lenovo G580 2689 though.

Edit again - think it is 802.11bgn Wi-Fi which if I'm not being daft is NOT 5g.

So far seems good using the 2.4 so will leave the channels as they are (which is changed from the initial setting) unless something doesn'ty work or unless anyone recommends going back to the default.

Thanks to anyone who helped!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is compatible with 5GHz you will see the SSID in your available networks, if not they won't show.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SSID for 2.4GHz ... 24freebetsfreetips
    SSID for 5.0GHz ... 50freebetsfreetips

(Examples)

Connect your laptop to one of these and it should never get confused trying to connect to the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure