Admin Support

Options
How would I be able to contact small businesses to offer my admin skills. I am looking for some extra work at weekends or evenings about 10 hours per week and though it would be suitable to help out a small business that could not afford full time staff. Thank you

Comments

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 April 2019 at 2:04PM
    Options
    edrushuk wrote: »
    How would I be able to contact small businesses to offer my admin skills. I am looking for some extra work at weekends or evenings about 10 hours per week and though it would be suitable to help out a small business that could not afford full time staff. Thank you
    Many small firms would probably not be too interested in hiring you part time if you had a full time job. Admin is not like cleaning or sales assistant or other part time jobs, it requires a certain loyalty to one firm.

PS. They might be interested more if you were offering a particular well defined service such as bookkeeping rather than just general admin.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not just the skills you're offering, it's when you're offering them: to make this work you probably need to be offering something which can be done without supervision, or from home, UNLESS the small businesses operate outside the 9-5 M-F day.

Different I know, but I knew of someone who asked for flexible working hours, to include one day from home and two days starting at 6.30 am. Which might have worked, had not answering the door and phone been one of their main responsibilities, ie they had to BE THERE when they were needed.

Unless your idea is to help small startups, who will be working all hours in the early stages? Where the trick is definitely knowing where to find them, and how to convince them that you're worth it: it's a fluid situation. Self promotion and advertising is almost certainly going to be necessary, but I'm not sure where you'd start.

Word of mouth may be your best bet: if you KNOW anyone running a small business - gardener, decorator - is it worth talking to them and asking if they are ever overwhelmed by ... sending out their invoices, chasing late payments, whatever it is you think you could offer ... and would some outside help be useful, enabling them to concentrate on the things they are good at.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • edrushuk
    edrushuk Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. It was an idea that I was throwing around my head but it seems it would not work. My loyalty would be to my full time role but while I was not conflicted I thought I could fit another position in. Ah well back to the drawing board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure