New combi boiler or repair

Options
Hot water keeps cutting out after a few mins so called out company used in old house to look at it.

The issue is several things inc heat exchanger needs replacing and and then there is a pressure issues. Cost for repair £500 with possible need for flu at approx £150-200 but unable to see this until they get to it. Haven’t had any other issues in the year we have been there but boiler is 12 years old. They have also quoted for fitting new boiler. Don’t want to throw money down the drain if we then have to replace the boiler at some point soon anyway.... any recommendations, do you think costs are fair?

Replacement boiler - 2,600
BREAKDOWN as follows:
To remove existing Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior
To supply and fit Vaillant ecoTEC plus 832
To supply and fit standard flue and anti plumb kit
To supply and fit Magnetic filer and Vaillant protection kit To reuse existing Nest thermostat
Installation Pack
Gas Safe registration
The boiler will have a 10 year parts and labour manufacturer's warranty. This quotation assumes the current gas supply in the property is adequate.
Recently married and loving it x

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd definitely go for a spanking new boiler, especially as your 12yr old one is a dinosaur & well past it's best.

Not sure if the costs quoted are fair or not but it doesn't sound too bad, & the boiler being a Vaillant, it's the Rolls Royce of the boiler world. Costs could vary, depending on the area. I live the SE, so costs always tend to be at a peak here.
    In every property I've moved into I've always gone for a Vaillant boiler
    & never had one let me down yet.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • nightsky224
    nightsky224 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    I'd definitely go for a spanking new boiler, especially as your 12yr old one is a dinosaur & well past it's best.

Not sure if the costs quoted are fair or not but it doesn't sound too bad, & the boiler being a Vaillant, it's the Rolls Royce of the boiler world. Costs could vary, depending on the area. I live the SE, so costs always tend to be at a peak here.
    In every property I've moved into I've always gone for a Vaillant boiler
    & never had one let me down yet.

Great thanks for the reply, I think we are going down the new boiler route, I am in the SE too. Getting a comparison quote tomorrow to sense check.
    Recently married and loving it x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport