Disney renovation drama!

Options
Hi Everyone,

We have a trip to Disney world planned in September and yesterday we received an email stating that the pool at Animal kingdom lodge were we are residing, will be undergoing renovation and ultimately out of use for the legnth of our stay. The email also detailed that noise would be audible between 9am and dusk.

I responded back to Disney via email and due to a response time of 5 days I decided to contact them via phone. I spent approximately 1 hour speaking to two different cast members, both of whom were some what rude.

It was verbalised that Disney do not regard a pool renovation as a substantial disruption and do not offer any compensation to people who have already booked.

I voice my concerns which included but were not limited to the inconvenience of walking to Kidani village to use their pool and not being able to sleep in past 9am on days that we have already planned to catch up on sleep after late nights in the park. I feel as though that despite them ‘inviting’ us to use a pool at a different resort, we are not getting what we paid for, we don’t have the convenience of having a pool on our doorstep that we had already anticipated and planned to use, and having the luxury of being able to sleep in taking away from us.

What am i able to do regarding this matter? Disney have refused to offer any gift cards, room transfers to the savannah views that are at the other side of the hotel and won’t be affected by noise pollution, or a transfer to another resort without us incurring additional costs and admin fees.

Help. I’m devastated and already feel like this is going to have a domino affect on our holiday.

Thanks,
Nakita

Comments

• koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you book direct? What do the T&C's say?
  • Nakita93
    Nakita93 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Yes we booked directly through Walt Disney world. We booked our flights separately as when we booked the resort flights weren!!!8217;t on offer. There only offer was to move the days and either be refunded/pay the difference. (Not much consolation). Terms and conditions on Disney don!!!8217;t mention renovations but ABTA and ATOL touch on this and stipulate that customers are entitled to refund, or transfer to similar resort at no extra cost. I!!!8217;ve relayed all this to Disney and they basically told me it was tough.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Nakita93 wrote: »
    I'm devastated

Seriously ??

How about making it part of the adventure and planning alternatives for certain activities. You've been given significant notice and it's not as though you're in a secluded island resort with no other facilities.

For any redress you express you disappointment and ask nicely - your tone suggests you've demanded/expressed entitlement neither of which are likely to go down well with those pesky, rude cast members
  • Nakita93
    Options
    The pool is less of the issue, we are happy to adapt our plans and commute to another. My main issue was the noise pollution, I was very calm at first and asked if they could suggest some options as we very much need to be able to sleep in, particularly when we first arrive as we will be very jet lagged. The sleep deprivation will have a knock on affect on the trip. They just told me pay the difference of changing my holiday dates. They were rude from the get go. So frustrating!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2018 at 1:36PM
    Options
    The pool is less of the issue, we are happy to adapt our plans and commute to another. My main issue was the noise pollution, I was very calm at first and asked if they could suggest some options as we very much need to be able to sleep in, particularly when we first arrive as we will be very jet lagged. The sleep deprivation will have a knock on affect on the trip. They just told me pay the difference of changing my holiday dates. They were rude from the get go. So frustrating!

Just a suggestion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-Howard-Leight-Laser-Earplugs/dp/B018RIA3L2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525868772&sr=8-3&keywords=ear+plugs
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Far from sleeping in because of jet lag, you will all be wide awake between 4am-5am that first morning.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Are you in the UK? If so you don't get jet lag going from UK to US, you get it when you come home. 9am US time is afternoon here, you will be waking up very early in the mornings.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Nakita93
    Options
    I’ve travelled long haul on numerous occasions. I am fully aware I will be awake in the middle of the night, however the option of potentially going back to sleep would be great as I have chronic fatigue as it is. Thanks for the reply though
  • Nakita93
    Options
    Plus the option to lie in after a busy Park day would have been nice
  • Nakita93
    Options
    I’m aware. I would of liked to have potentially gone back sleep however. I have chronic fatigue which does not help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure