Debit card £20 minimum spend, at a pub.

Options
13»

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    People are plucking the 50p per transaction figure from nowhere. No retailer who has shopped around pays this much. Handling cash isn't free either - particularly for larger businesses that have to arrange collections from armoured vehicles.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    People are plucking the 50p per transaction figure from nowhere. No retailer who has shopped around pays this much. Handling cash isn't free either - particularly for larger businesses that have to arrange collections from armoured vehicles.

I agree. We used to run a business. The banks charged 25p for debit cards and a % for credit cards (can’t remember the exact figure) plus running costs. However they charged for depositing cash. What a lot of people don’t realise is that while banks don’t usually charge people for their personal banking they do charge small businesses high fees
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I agree. We used to run a business. The banks charged 25p for debit cards and a % for credit cards (can’t remember the exact figure) plus running costs. However they charged for depositing cash. What a lot of people don’t realise is that while banks don’t usually charge people for their personal banking they do charge small businesses high fees
    I think everyone realises this! The point is that it obviously costs more to process small transactions by card than by cash, otherwise why do think retailers have min spend limits for card transactions?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My local petrol station won't accept cards for less then £20, its rare that I buy there

The pub also only accepts £20 payments on the card but just gives you cash back

The shop in the next village charges 50p transaction for less then £20

All these examples are small independents. Never have a problem with a chain
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    The shop in the next village charges 50p transaction for less then £20

I didn't think it was legal to do this any more ?

It's still OK to specify a minimum spend for using debit / credit cards, but not to charge people more for using a card than for cash.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I didn't think it was legal to do this any more ?

It's still OK to specify a minimum spend for using debit / credit cards, but not to charge people more for using a card than for cash.
    It's not legal, unless they charge the same fee for all methods of payment.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    Options
    Assuming they are selling alcohol?

You should ask for a glass of tap water for free...
  • steviebuk
    steviebuk Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RossHan wrote: »
    Hello, Last week I went for a very long walk in the hot sun to enjoy a nice cold pint of Cider at very nice pub. When I finally got there and ordered my pint, the barman told me that I needed to spend at least £20 to use my debit card. Holding back my disgruntled shock, I said "right, okay...where is the nearest cash point?" the reply was that there isn't any locally, a 20 minute walk away at the Tesco supermarket. Last resort was to get the £20 as cashback, He couldn't do that either. So I had to leave and walk home!. To be fair to the barman, he was cringing a little when explaining about there £20 min spend house rule.

Now, given that there is no cash point locally withing walking distance, or shop for that matter, I think this is blatant profiteering. Is there a trading body that I can complain too?

Thanks,

Ross.

No. I looked this up the other day as in the IOW and was in The Dairyman's Daughter in Arreton Barns and the limit was £5 which I was told after she'd poured the drinks. Considering how rude she was and no visible sign, I really now wished I'd just said "forget it then" and walked off. But I stupidly got another drink to make up the £5.

I thought this wasn't allowed anymore but was wrong. It's just charging for using a debit or credit card that isn't allowed. So pubs/shops are now putting in min spend.

£20 is a lot though. Only option is to walk away.
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would you walk a 40 min journey just for a pint of cider?
    Only for Cornish Orchards or Aspalls :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport