Certifying a Will - original solicitor no longer in business.

Options
My father recently passed away and I have begun sorting out his affairs. I will be applying for a grant of probate, however, I also need a copy of the will certified by a solicitor. I'm assuming I have the original as it is signed in ink. However, when I phoned a solicitor about getting a copy they said it needed to be the company who drew up the original, who are no longer in business.

I am now very worried as to where I go from here or what can be done.

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 4:29PM
    Options
    I had a photocopy certified recently by a local solicitor - she charged me £5. The original was drawn up by a solicitor relative over 30 years ago and 150 miles away (he has gone onto higher things himself)

Try some other solicitors - whereabouts are you? someone may be able to suggest one
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local solicitor charges the same ..... £5 for a certified copy of just about any document. Go and try another.

My local Post office will also do it, but they charge £9 apparently.
  • HughR
    HughR Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply. We spoke to two other solicitors in Colwyn Bay where I live and they both seemed reluctant to help as they hadn't drawn up the will. I don't see why this is such an issue, all I needed was a certified copy.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Look for one who provides "Notary Services" as they are used to certifying copies
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had similar problems (although this was with a POA not will) will solicitors not wanting to do this unless they had drawn up the original document. It is just a case of 'keep trying' and, as Flugelhorn says, look for a Notary who will do this kind of thing all the time.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Is the wil properly signed and witnessed? I so why do you need a vooy?
  • HughR
    HughR Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I don't want to send the original out, except when required to do so for probate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure