Christmas

Options
Hi all I know I'm early but want to get organised I have a 3 month old, what things did you do for their first Christmas. (Obviously spending as little as possible)
I'm thinking of letter from Santa but not sure who is best
Cards with his picture on to send out
Visit to santa thats nice but won't break the bank.

My Oh isn't into Xmas as his mum died at that time of year so want to try and make it special for us all.

Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Didn't really do anything other than buy a cute Christmas themed baby suit ( reindeer pattern or something I think). Could also send a card from the baby as you suggest. At that age they are too young to understand anything so there didn't seem much point doing more. Sounds miserable but make the most of a cheap Christmas. Once they get to school age and ask for gifts that are expensive or hard to find it becomes more stressful!
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    Dont force it too much as your OH has bad memories associated with this time of year

I agree with the poster above, the first xmas is one of the cheapest christmases you are ever going to have hahaha
    With love, POSR <3
  • oystercatcher
    Options
    Baby won't notice or remember what you do but OH will so why not ask him what he wants to do to remember his Mum, did she have any traditions he would like to continue or anything he doesn't want to happen .

Appreciate you want new ideas here too but value OH's input and make it a happy time for him again.

Baby will probably enjoy a large empty box to sit in , enjoy not buying a load of tat .
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3 months .... s/he won't know anything .... I'd make it about you/OH ... and the baby's just incidentally there, to be honest.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Both of mine were 9 months old at their 1st xmas. Me and DH bought separately so it was a surprise to each other what we got.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My kids were bought far too much for Christmas when they were that age. There again I did have the sense to put some of it away for their birthdays. Didn't matter that it had already been unwrapped at Christmas, no-one remembered.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    We brought stuff they would need later on, one was only 5 days old I think he got a bouncy chair and a play mat, another had a high chair and so on
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    My first son was 3 months at his first Christmas, he has no idea what was going on. But did like some of the new things we bought him.

We didn't get to opening our presents, had to spread it out over Boxing Day as well as he had enough after a while.

This year he will be 2 1/4 and our youngest will be exactly 6 months on Christmas Eve, so his first food will be a tiny bit of Christmas dinner to chew on.

If he's anything like DS1 then at 6 months he'll be far more interested in what's going on then DS1 was at 3 months.

So excited to see what it's like. We're not doing anything big, just nice calm family Christmas hopefully. Tree, decorations, presents, food and family.

We'll have stockings for them both and we'll read some Christmas stories leading up to it.

DS1 will obviously get far more from it this year being over 2.

I think the whole visiting Santa/Father Christmas thing is weird - just personally - to me I feel like it kind of spoils the mystery and magic of it. You should never see him and especially not someone pretending to be him. How they imagine him to be will be far more magical than "sweaty Steve"
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    As others have said, the baby is too young to even know that Christmas is happening, much less enjoy what presents, etc. However, I think that making some traditions is a good idea. Since my daughter was a year old, when my sister bought her a copy, I read 'The night before Christmas' every Christmas Eve. When my boys were born, they joined in too - one was less than a month old when he first heard it. She is now carrying on our family tradition with her own daughter.

Since my graddaughter was born almost four years ago, I have bought her a decoration for the tree, and it's something that I intend to continue. When she leaves home, she will have a few decorations of her own. Maybe you and your partner would like to give your child a clear bauble with a photo of his mum inside (then again, he might hate the idea!) My mum is always a bit sad at Christmas because she lost her own mum when she was in her teens, and her mum's birthday was Christmas Eve. She doesn't even have a photo of her.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    I think it is nice to celebrate and start traditions as it their first christmas, and it will create new happy memories for your OH.

I agree with not going overboard with gifts, however I still think it is an occasion to mark. Yes they will not remember their first Christmas, but you will!

Personally I think a little xmas eve box for you all (maybe new pjs, and a christmas book to read to your little one each year, plus some treats for Mummy and Daddy when baby is in bed!) would be a lovely tradition to start. Also as it is babys first xmas a tree decoration marking this occasion in the box to pop on the tree. We always buy new decorations for each of the milestones in our life as personally I am sentimental and love to remember happy memories.

Letter to Santa I think is a lovely idea. I think the royal mail does this for free so very MSE, well other than the cost of a stamp, and it is a lovely thing for your little one to look at when they are older.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure