greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Two of them were still awake at gone 6am! They were all awake at 3.30am - I heard them! They were up and foraging for breakfast by 9.30, though, so not too bad. All have now left and DD has promised she'll tidy the room :) I think they all had a good time. 2 aren't finishing off 6th form because their results were too bad, so they will see less of each other going forward :(
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Your dd did really well. These results are the crunch time sorting out who is university material and who isn't. I feel for her friends who did badly, but studying clearly isn't their thing and they will be happier out there doing something different.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • greent
    Options
    Thanks, Squirrel. I'm very proud of her - she's always been very self motivated and doesn't need nagging. She has also chosen subjects for A2 which she not only likes but is good at - which not all of her friends did! I was talking to the Asst Head at the results day and she was saying that AS results are a kick up the bum for quite a few people. DD has chosen her career (English teacher.......) and we've visited a couple of Unis already and she's a pretty sensible girl. I'm torn about her getting a job whilst in Y13 as I don't want her grades to suffer, and she's also doing her EPQ. But a job is a 'good thing' in general and good for UCAS app. We've compromised over the holidays and she's been doing some work for me for OH's company (lots of data inputting and some finance basics) for which she's being paid (through company payroll) which I'm happy to continue doing - but want her to commit to a minimum no of hours doing it a week in term time (I'd be happy with 4 or 5, which is not exactly a lot and she'd obv have no travel time) to make it a firm arrangement. I usually have enough which she could do so it could work, theoretically..... :)

Beautiful day here. However, old boiler has literally gone BANg and had steam coming out of it - engineer has been and it is well and truly kaput. Good job we've got the new one being fitted next week and are away for a few days between now and then! :D
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Good job we've got the new one being fitted next week and are away for a few days between now and then! :D

Near perfect timing! Enjoy your break :)
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • greent
    Options
    Quick update with decluttering stuff:

663. 4 outgrown jumpers and 1 polo shirt donated to school for spares
    664. box of books (about 2 dozen) donated to a bootsaler who is raising funds for charity
    665. box of books (about a dozen or so) about gardening and art donated to a specific charity stall
    666. 'Organised Mum' shopping list 'book' cover - recycled after list notepad used up :)
    667. 2 jars of HM produce donated to neighbour
    668. 3 belts (inc one never worn) - CS
    669. top - CS ragbag (had a hole in)
    670. 2 pairs of socks worn thin - CS ragbag
    671. old mascara x2 - bin
    672. pair of PJ shorts - CS ragbag
    673. card, present and gift bag from stash for DS3's friend
    674. couple of DS3's schoolbooks recycled
    675. bag of DS3's outgrown/ unloved clothes - ragbag
    676. pair of DS3's PJs - CS
    677. present and card from stash for DS3's friend
    678. Box of 12 books - SOLD - via Ziffit
    679. Small pile of DS2's clothes to CS ragbag
    680. 2 tins of paint (1 unused but opened and 'split') - chemical recycling at tip
    681. Pandora charm boxes (empty) - sold via ebay
    682. handpainted (by DD) bowl - binned (DD's idea)
    683. over stretched slinky - bin
    684. old school shoes and outgrown trainers (6 pairs in total) - recycled via charity
    685. DS3's old joggers - CS ragbag
    686 - 687 - 2 books - CS
    688 - 690 - 3 Thomas trains - SOLD - ebay
    691. - 701. - Sylvanian Family toy sets - SOLD - ebay
    702. - lots of packaging - used on ebay parcels! :)
    703. Pile of cheap imitation skooby strands - binned
    704. Tunic - SOLD - ebay
    705. Dress - SOLD - ebay
    706. tub of Ant powder (1 of 4 which we have!) used up and recycled
    707. card and present from stash used as part of wedding gift :D
    708. LOTS of toiletries used up (space is beginning to appear - yeay!!!)
    709. book (from unread stash - now read) - given to my mum
    710 - 2 Disneyland Paris mugs - pattern faded and I really dislike how they felt in my mouth (too thick) - binned
    711. 4 items of clothing - CS ragbag
    712. top - SOLD - ebay
    713. 2 unused bottles of body lotion - donated to charity
    714. set of hanging planets from DS2's room (broken bits) - binned
    715. various kibble from DS2 and DSW3's rooms - binned/ recycled

• greent
    edited 20 August 2015 at 5:05PM
    Options
    School shoe shopping trip done today - successful purchases for all 3 boys (cost £130) but not for DD. She has narrow feet (D) so struggles with a lot of off the shelf shoes, plus I personally like the quality of Clarks for school shoes (they just last the whole year) but their styles for teenage girls leave a lot to be desired. We found a just-about-passable pair in adults but they didn't have it instore except for in wide fit, so have ordered it online (and got cashback too! :D) so we can hopefully get them next week. We did pop into the local Brantano (also a Clarks stockist) and found the correct size but in patent, so tried them on for fit - fingers crossed the ordered ones are ok! I also bought school trousers for DS2 from M&S (and DD £40+ worth of underwear - sadly I have taught her well and she only likes decent bras with matching knickers (preferably in a couple of styles, to suit all occasions!) whereas her friends are all happy with Primark ones. Still, it's worth it - they look good (although finding M&S bras which she likes can sometimes be tricky) and fit well) Haven't tried the trousers on him yet - will do that tonight - way too much hassle to get a 9yo to try things on in the middle of the day!) Also made the mistake of being in town over lunchtime so had to buy 2 x Happy meals and 2 x pasties and drinks - and then hit M&S food hall for pastries! :D Still, it's over and done with for another year (and DD is joyful that she never has to do it again!) I do still need some cheap trainers for DS2's PE bag though... will have to sort asap!

Plan on another ebay attack when they return to school - Florida fund needs a boost, and another burst of decluttering before Xmas won't hurt! Have sold our old coffee machine today for £20 (OH has now got a 'pod' style one), so that'll be added to Florida fund when it's collected :) Will re-attack my clothes in a couple of weeks - will just be for CS, not to sell, but could do with checking on what gaps I have in the run up to Autumn/ Winter. I know that I could do with another couple of jumpers at least, and another pair of 'smart' trousers for work, and poss some flat boots for work (mine are all heeled and not suitable, due to noise when walking around during exams) DS2 could probably do with a new coat, too. It's all money, money, money.....! :D;)

x
  • greent
    Options
    Had 4 days/ 3 nights in London for a long weekend (Sat-Tues) Did Madame Tussauds (freebie vouchers for all 6 of us from Clubcard to apologise for an error - just had to pay £3 each for the Star Wars bit). Harry Potter Studios (3 of us - but I must've spent £150+ in the shop (inc stuff for Xmas and bdays) but did take a picnic (called in Tesco for sandwiches)), London Eye (the other 3), Tower of London (mostly paid for by Clubcard reward vouchers - cost me £11) and the Science Museum and Natural History Museum (DD also popped into V&A and wandered off to Harrods whilst we were all looking at stuff in the Science Museum) Spent a lot on food and all came back feeling bloated and craving healthier foods. But we had a good time :) Came back and my mum gave us money for our anniversary to go out for a meal (last thing we felt like doing!:D- so that is currently sat in kitchen)

New boiler fitted Thurs and Fri - we have hot water!!:j Couple of snags along the way which created some issues - and a few more which OH needs to take up with the fitting co before paying them the balance (we've only paid a 10% deposit at the mo) It does mean that we had to remove the 3 large cupboards which formed my pantry, though - so all the food is in boxes in the family room, which is a nightmare. :( I need to put some shelves in the space temporarily to at least have SOME things back in the kitchen! I also need to chase the window guy on Tues as to coming and getting full details form us and hopefully getting a date - and OH needs to chase the kitchen guy yet again :(

My sister and her OH moved house on Fri. OH and DS1 went to help, as they did it without a removal co :eek: and I stayed with smallies and supervised boiler (good job that I did, too, because of snags!) I then went along at tea time for a few hours to help. It's the 2 of them and then his 2 children at weekends - they have WAY too much stuff!! (I did consider buying her a moving in present of Marie Kondo's book, but I'm not sure she'd appreciate it! :rotfl:)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Wow, you sound busy, busy, busy!

But a great trip to London by the sound of it - and great use of vouchers too :j
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Awesome Lunnon trip - sounds like you had a fantastic time!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Fabulous voucher usage :T & glad to hear all has been ticking over nicely in the greent household. :)

But eek to the Harry Potter gift shop o' temptation.. I'm heading there (oh, and the tour thingy, lol) in a couple of weeks; my credit card quivers at the thought of all the lovely things that lurk therein. :rotfl:
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback