MSENews: Egg closes credit cards to new customers

Options

Comments

• gaspode38
    gaspode38 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I don't want a new card so not worried about that, jsut can't afford to pay the balance off in one go atm.

Much appreciated everyone,
    Gaspode
    :A Eleventh Heaven :A - 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11

Prizes to date: Stretch mark oil, babygrowers discount card, framed Disney print, two roast turkey hats from WKD, XBox 360, £25 ITunes voucher!
  • TwistedPsycho
    Options
    What concerns me the most is how Barclays will deal with Egg customers like myself currently in a Debt Management Plan.
    Are they going to ignore any agreements already in place....
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What will happen to those of us who already have a Barclaycard? Will they close our Egg accounts?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    What will happen to those of us who already have a Barclaycard? Will they close our Egg accounts?
    They may merge the two accounts or they may give you two separate accounts or (for a few people) they may decline to continue servicing your ex-Egg account. Only Barclaycard know and they're not saying yet.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    They may merge the two accounts or they may give you two separate accounts or (for a few people) they may decline to continue servicing your ex-Egg account. Only Barclaycard know and they're not saying yet.

I have a hunch that I will be in the latter category i.e. not offered a continuation or a new deal.
    So long as they honour my LOB deal and don't hassle me to repay any faster than the minimum payments (at least until I'm ready), I've no problem with the account being axed. If they up the interest rate on the non LOB portion of the debt, I may well take that out of their hands anyway.
    I know Egg have treated some customers badly in the past but personally, I've never had a problem with them.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've always had amazing customer service from Egg. The cashback deal has been great and the other various offers over the year have been useful too.

I've been a happy Egg customer too. I use it for all my work travel expenses so make about £200 a year in cashback. A few years ago I had my card stolen in Spain and their customer support was fantastic.

I will be moving to another cashback card. I just cannot decide which one.
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've always been satisfied with Egg both card/loan wise.

Getting a loan from them was easy and a top up loan even easier as you didn't need to answer loads of question as I already had a card with them.

When my minimum card payment wasn't going to be enough to stop me from going over my card limit, they contacted me and let me know they would automatically take a minimum that would cover it. Other financial companies would have just taken the minimum and charged me for going over my limit.

They also allowed flexibility with payments, such as allowing you to pay extra amounts to both cards/loans rather than just set amounts.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks, having had time to read some of the other threads on the subject I've now decided I will close my Egg Money account after this statement has been paid and move all my spending onto my Tesco card. I had been splitting it between the two for cashback & clubcard rewards but I can't see Barclays honouring any cashback earned.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • rail.link
    rail.link Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Sad news; I'm likely to close the account.
    Egg had great customer service and I don't fancy dealing with Barclaycard's overseas customer services.

All the best to Egg staff.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have taken out CapOne which I'm using mainly for cashback now.
    However I did buy some theatre tickets recently and I put them on Egg for their "missed event cover".
    So if you're keeping the card to try to get any outstanding cashback then don't forget that it's currently business as usual and some of the insurances are worth having.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure