Moving House, Renovations & OPs

Elephantchunks
Elephantchunks Posts: 211 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 23 May 2017 at 5:04PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi! Welcome to my diary.
I've been inspired after reading many others diaries so I am ready to join in the fun.
We are buying a new house Yippee! :j
We have a few things that we would like/need to pay before we move so hopefully this diary will help me to stop stressing and start doing.
When we move there will be quite a bit of work to be done to modernise our new home. Then we'd like to start some side line money making schemes to OP the mortgage (on top of our Mon-Fri 9-5 employment).
A bit about us:
DH &I rented for a few years until we moved into Dh parents house for a year to save a deposit.
We bought our current house nearly 5 years ago, got married, renewed the roof & boiler and many other bits since then.
We've OPd a little and have paid off most of our debt so now have enough equity to move to somewhere more rural. Our offer was accepted on our dream (within budget) house. Therefore we worked our butts off painting and moving every bit of furniture around to make our home a house to show.
We accepted an offer on our house after 4 weeks on the market. Our vendors are waiting to find a bungalow.

As you may see, my diary will not all be financial as I will be including our adventure of the moving process.
Any questions, comments, cheering along the way would be most appreciated.

I know we could stay in this house and be more financially comfortable but that's not how to play the game.......
"Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
SPC14 #65

Comments

• LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Good luck with the move and welcome.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • Thank you Lady Gnome.
    Quick update: After 4 months of waiting our vendors have today had their offer accepted on a bungalow :j
    We've been to the in-laws to celebrate with bbq steak in the glorious sunshine. Many wine and proscecco toasts have been made.
    We are so pleased. No more searching on right move whilst not wanting to view anything else, nothing else has even been comparable. Huge Yays :T
    SPC14 #65
  • Congratulations on the next step in your move. Fingers crossed that all does smoothly and that you can make the move soon.
    LBM- June 2009 - 15 year plan started, Dec 2018 - time to review & refocus
    SPC12 #33 £210. Xmas 2019 - #15 £365 / £365 ... PAYDBX 2019 #23: £0 / £3,400
    MFW2019 #2: £6,999.67 / £8,000 MFiT-T5 start £95,352.52 - target £40k

No matter how far you go, you always take yourself with you
  • Dogbooks
    Dogbooks Posts: 32 Forumite
    Good luck! What better way to celebrate than with a BBQ and prosecco haha?! I will be reading this with interest :)
    Goals for 2017:
    • [STRIKE]Complete purchase of house[/STRIKE]
    • Save emergency fund- £1200/ £9300
  • Congratulations on the next step, fingers crossed for a smooth move :)
  • Elephantchunks
    edited 2 June 2017 at 7:38PM
    Thanks for your words of encouragement Miss D, Dogbooks + and another Elephant :D
    DH and I have been off work this week so we decided to go camping to stop us from doing any work at home. We had a lovely few days in the Cotswalds and have properly relaxed. He is ace - I'm a lucky lucky lass :heartpuls
    SPC14 #65
  • Right then! Time to get down to the nittygritty - The financials
    Last week we sold 2x sheds on ebay that our buyers didn't want to be left. So here's where that money has gone already:
    Shed 1 £160
    Shed 2 £260
    Ebay fee. -£42
    Decent Drill. -£100
    Car tyres. -£120
    Holiday. -£160
    =0
    We made the most of our holiday as any other time we have off this year will be used to move house and decorate (hopefully). The drill cut the time of us dismantling the sheds by probably a quarter and will be used a lot when we get our workshop- Fingers crossed.
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    edited 27 May 2017 at 1:11PM
    Proof that all that work was worth it.

June Monies
    Both our pay 2433
    Bills. -1000
    Food. -300
    Petrol. -125
    Cigs. -65
    Credit cards -50
    Fun me. -100
    Fun DH. -100
    Driving lessons -225
    Left to save. £478

These are maximums, if we hit the max we won't beat ourselves up about it but we will try our best to save on food and fun especially.
    Food includes cleaning, rabbits and anything we may need for the household on top of bills.
    Cigs- we DO want to quit but think its best to wait until the stress of moving is over.
    Driving- We don't have a test centre in our town so this month I'll need 2x 3hr lessons for practice around the test area.

Happy bank holiday weekend :cool2:
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    edited 28 May 2017 at 8:38PM
    Today I have mostly been decluttering kitchen cupboards and our filing drawers. No job is ever dull when you can listen to your favourite tunes. I'm glad it's done though.

Right, so, here are our short term savings goals to be achieved before we move:
    Van Hire. £200
    Survey £380
    CreditCard1 £900
    Creditcard2 £900
    Total = £2380

Savings so far:
    Before June £975
    June so far £480
    = £1455

Difference to find £925 which is totally doable if we have two more pay days before we move. I worry about unplanned costs though so anything I can do to save more I will. I don't want to use our equity to pay for past debt. We've done well to get this down from nearly £8000 from January last year. I'm determined to not take it with us.
    SPC14 #65
  • Anxious day today.
    Mortgage application telephone appointment day.
    Due to me working in accounts and it being month end, DH had the 2x hour conversation with them and I had the 5minute conversation to confirm.
    DH is very bright when it comes to science, politics, grammar, geography, world affairs, music, general knowledge... not so bright with household finances (just bores him I think, never worked out if he just acts this way lol)
    The details that the mortgage co gave me were mostly what we'd agreed beforehand though. Phew!

So if we move before September we need to port our existing mortgage and have a second mortgage or we'd have to pay the erc. At the end of August we can then combine the two. What hassle for one month. They should have just waved the erc but rules is rules. The deposit was £1,000 more but we were going to save £2000 anyway for EF so at least it'll stop us spending it

Sorry, no wonder I come on here to blah about finance, tis very boring for real life friends.

Just got to wait for the Ok now. Eek!
    SPC14 #65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family