Dell Laptop Screen Faults - Returned, Repaired, Fed-up

Options
2»

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Shoxt3r wrote: »
    I've now been back to the store and they have given me back the laptop and will be calling their head office tomorrow morning as unfortunately they're closed now. A decision couldn't be made by the store itself the manager said as the laptop is now 7 months old. Within the 6 month period the store is able to provide a refund no question but as it's over that now he apparently has to contact head office.

They have also provided me with a direct number for Dell Customer Services and they have advised that I contact them myself in the hope that one way or another it will be resolved. The number they've given me is 0800 587 1456.
    They are trying to absolve themselves from their contractual rights their staff are badly trained
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As above, they're at best poorly trained, at worst deliberately deceitful.

The faults have all been within the 6 months burden of responsibility window - you are entitled to reject for a full refund.
  • Shoxt3r
    Shoxt3r Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suppose what I will do is contact Dell and await to hear the decision from Currys PC World but if this isn't resolved in the coming days then I will go back to the store and speak with them directly again, potentially over the weekend.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Doing this when it is busy in store and having the discussion in a clear, loud voice might focus their minds. Not that I'd recommend doing this though .... ;)
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    I will be sure NOT to do that... ;). I'll post up with results.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 3:40PM
    Options
    They are trying to absolve themselves from their contractual rights their staff are badly trained

Indeed. As soon as you hear the "28 day" rule they parrot out you know that they simply have no clue what consumer rights are. I enforced my rights with a local store regarding a faulty headset I had with a Xbox 360 which was a known common fault. Got the 28 day nonsense, went back with a print out of at the time the Sale of Goods Act rights from I think it was Which or some other consumer group. You could tell by the store manager's face as they studied it that something they'd had had gone wrong in the past, they'd been fobbed off with the same lies and had believed it.
  • Shoxt3r
    edited 16 November 2018 at 6:08PM
    Options
    So, quite an update here and a bit of a recap from my earlier post about my store visit...

I went into the store last night and quoted Consumer Rights Act and that I would like to exercise my right to reject the laptop. With that the Customer Service representative said "Ok that's fair enough but I don't have the authority to do that. I will need to get my manager". The manager came along and again I explained the situation and he basically said that I could take the laptop away with me but he wouldn't be able to do anything there and then as he'd need to contact Head Office to get it resolved as it had now passed 6 months. Conveniently, if it was still within it's 6 months, they could do something in the store.

I said "fine fair enough, I'll take my laptop back in the meantime then". The manager said he would get the laptop and also provide me with a phone number so I could call Dell myself and he would call Head Office in the morning so that we could come at it from two angles. Luckily, the delivery driver had only just loaded my laptop into the van as they couldn't find it in the warehouse - it was just about to be sent off for "repair"!

I took the laptop away and then expected to get a call from Currys today. In the meantime I gave their online Customer Service a message to explain the current situation. It would seem that their systems aren't able to track how many faults there were - or at least the number of faults isn't updated consistently because the store, repair centre and Customer Services (or again they're just simply trying to fob me off!). They disputed that this would only be the second repair but I stated it was the third (not that it really matters as the Consumer Rights Act says 1 is enough!).

They did not seem pleased that I had picked up the laptop as they said today it would have been sent away for assessment - but that's not what the store said to me. The store actually said it would be sent away for repair and they would then see what happens after that (presumably it would have got repaired and they hoped I would just leave it at that again).

Having not really got anywhere with Currys online chat, I decided to give Dell a call as my local Currys store had advised. After being pushed around from one department to another I finally got through to their "Warranty" department. After explaining the situation they agreed that something should be done (choice of repair, replacement or refund) but they weren't the people I needed to speak to. When I explained to them that this is what Currys has advised, they were confused and said it's for Currys to sort out but they would put a note on the laptop's Service Tag to document what they had advised.

I decided at that point to call my local Currys store which actually turned out to just forward me to general Customer Services. They explained that everything I'd been told by my store was incorrect and (as the CRA states) I could have actually been told about a replacement or refund after the first repair - not any of the other stuff they had told me like "we'll need a reasonable amount of time to repair it" or "it needs to be repaired 3,4... times before we write it off". However, they also said that the Customer Service staff "don't really get told that stuff". Brilliant. So customer-focused staff aren't taught the legislation that is there to protect consumers which means they could be making false promises which damage the company's reputation, it does not inform the consumer and cause more issues for both the company and consumer.

So, Currys Customer Services have now setup a return of the laptop for it to be assessed and written off for a refund and I will be handing it over to the store tonight under Consumer Rights Act , "Code 7 SAO".

On the back of this I've again contacted their online chat to explain the situation and they are "concerned" that I have been given false information - even though they were partly to do with it. "The aftersales would mainly be dealt with by a Customer Service representative, and a Sales colleague may not be too familiar with the process". They are looking into it and any training issues will be addressed and hope the assessment for refund is successful.

I will of course be pushing not only for a refund but also additional compensation as this has gone on far longer than it should have - for one thing after the first repair I should have rejected it outright but unfortunately the scratched screen that was done while it was being repaired muddied the waters a bit so I just wanted to get it repaired again...and the fact that my rights weren't read to me.

I will keep this thread updated as much as possible with anything further...
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    Visited my local store to hand over the laptop and was met with a rude manager who said that again, as the laptop was over 7 months old there was nothing in her power that she could do and as it had been a stressful day (and she hadn't had lunch), there were no managers available this evening - the store was still due to be open for another 2 hours approximately.

She printed off the notes and after shouting me down throughout the conversation explained I would have to return tomorrow when a more senior manager would be in to hopefully provide a refund outright, but it would be at their discretion.

They seem to be making this up as they go along! One minute the store can help, the next they can't, or conveniently the member of staff that can do it have left early. I also learnt that the manager I spoke to yesterday becomes a Sales representative for the last hour of their shift - is that normal practice? I've never heard of it and I've been working in retail one way or another for nearly 8 years now.

More to follow tomorrow I guess!
  • thescouselander
    Options
    This seems to have gone on for too long. Maybe you should write the store a letter before action and if they still don't respond take it through the small claims court.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/
  • Shoxt3r
    Options
    At last!

So after the poor visit last night I returned the store today and fairly rapidly the management approved a full refund - no "assessment" needed. The laptop has been taken off my hands and will likely be destroyed, along with my data (as Customer Services confirmed).

I then contacted the Currys online chat and they will be sending through compensation.

All said and done it's unlikely I'll be returning to Currys (at least until I'm confident their staff have been retrained) but it seems the matter is all resolved at last.

Thank you to everyone on here for your help and advice - now to find another laptop...I get the feeling it's not going to be easy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure