Options
13»

Comments

• hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Its not rip off Britain. It's duty/VAT (probably VAT) payable. you should find that's £4.50 duty you owe plus their £8 customs handling fee. something like that.

if it had been less than £7 it would have probably been waived. I realise that wont make you feel happier.

You can pay the fee online

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/pay-a-fee

I need the parcel yesterday so paying online will force me to take the option of a Tuesday delivery.

So the money I saved on vitamin supplements overseas was completely pointless. I may as well have purchased from Holland and Barrett at rip off prices.

Amazon next time!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The reason they appear cheap is because no VAT has been added. It is not applicable in the US so you have to pay it when you import the goods.
    That is why the goods appear to be cheaper.

If you order from an EU company the VAT is included in the price so no further payment is required.

Holland and Barrett have included VAT on their products as they are required to do so.

Be aware if you order from a company based in the Channel islands you will have to pay VAT on all the goods regardless of the cost.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Well I got a royal mail card (they didn't even knock) saying my package is at the depot and I have to pay £12.50 !!!!!!!

So what do I pay my taxes for ? Basically they are charging me for a service they are payed to do, I didn't ask them to and the cheek of it making me go into town to pick it up

If I am stopped by a police officer for a spot check on my car, do they bill me for that ? no.

RIP OFF BRITAIN!!!!!!!!

Would you like them to knock and discuss your package?
    They are not payed[sic] to collect taxes.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Amazon next time!

Make sure the Amazon products are located in the UK or you'll be in exactly the same position as you are now.

NB Importing goods may attract customs charges, taxes and handling fees. Check first.
  • ciderboy2009
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Make sure the Amazon products are located in the UK or you'll be in exactly the same position as you are now.

Amazon actually have quite a good system called Global Market (or something like that).

When you purchase an item through this they estimate the fees payable and add them onto the price you pay.

If the actual fees are less than the estimate you get a refund, if they are more then Amazon take the hit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure