Nationwide supposed missing payment

Options
i have a new mortgage with nationwide - got the letter and stated the date the payment will come out and how much.

date: 28th aug - amount £1070.43.

so i had that in my barclays account waiting to be collected. on the side I open a nationwide account and also put in my emergency savings fund in it.

29th / 30th / 31st of aug, 1-3rd of sept - i kept checking my barclays account and the funds was still sitting there. 4th of sept i called nationwide up and the lady advised the direct debit had cancelled itself from within their system.
she then advised that the payment alongside sept payment will be taken at the end of sept. I declined and advised I now had a nationwide current acct with enough funds in it to cover the payment.

she advised she was not able to complete the transfer but i could do it online - i did that with her immediately on the phone.

today - 5th of sept - i get a text from nationwide stating to call a number - i did and it is the collections dept... so i said ok - how can I help - he then advised the mortgage payment was missing.

i explained everything above and told him - its a nationwide to nationwide trf so no way it would have failed and also i had looked in both accounts and the funds had moved across.

he then said ok - he will check - next he advises that the payment was short of 43p.. i said ok i can pay that immediately (which i did) and then he said this will affect my credit as this was a late payment

to which i said - no .. the funds had been there waiting since the 1st of aug.. the direct debit never came through and the lady yesterday confirmed it failed within Nationwide. plus i called up and did the transfer immediately so how could this now be marked as late payment on my credit file

he said he will speak to his manager and come back to me but for information purposes - nationwide do not re-present direct debits - if it fails for any reason its up to me to call them or do the transfer on the 29th of every month.

Surely this is NOT right? or am i wrong here?

also what happens next with the late marker on my credit file - it has not showed up yet - but should it show up, what do i do next.

is it worth me making a formal complaint now?

please help - i have worked really hard to clean my credit in the last 3 yrs.. the last thing i need now is this.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Lilpretty,

In reality your payment was only around 1 week late. Whilst Nationwide could report this to the credit references agencies, they also may not. If you have had no paperwork about the late payment, impact on your credit file, it may just have been a flippant comment over the phone. I wonder as well, if the operator said this will affect your file, or just that it may affect it.

You could make a complaint now, about the service you have received, and how the situation has been handled and ask them not to add anything to your file as a gesture of good will (especially as it was resolved so quickly).

The credit files are updated at least once a month, so you could keep your eye on it, and if a late payment marker is made, then make another complaint and ask them to amend it. But please be ware that only incorrect information can be removed, and technically this information is correct. The credit agencies only report factual data and not the reason it. You can add a notice of correction to give any potential late payment mark more context, but this wouldn't necessarily improve your credit rating.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • LilPretty
    LilPretty Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Hi Laura,

it has shown on my credit file as late payment.
    the payment was not late from my end - it was sitting in my bank account waiting for the direct debit that never showed.

i have lodged a complaint.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    why was it short 43p? If it was a DD, surely Nationwide would have set the amount, and it looks like they set it wrong
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    why was it short 43p?
    My reading of the OP suggests the Nationwide staff member talked through the internet banking procedure/provided the payment details and stayed on the line whilst the OP made the transaction. It would appear the OP forgot the pence!
    If it was a DD, surely Nationwide would have set the amount, and it looks like they set it wrong
    It wasn't a DD, it was an immediate FP (see para 5 in the OP).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You have a late payment marker on your credit file from a payment due a week ago? Really?
  • LilPretty
    Options
    yes i have the late payment marker already and I can show it if required - payment was due on the 28th of Aug, the direct debit never hit my account and I called to pay it on the 4th of sept .. by the 6th of Sept the late payment marker was on my acct already.

The advisor i spoke too on the 5th of sept did advise that the late payment marker may be out already and he will speak to a manager and come back to me.

i have since raised a complaint with NW
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    LilPretty wrote: »
    yes i have the late payment marker already and I can show it if required - payment was due on the 28th of Aug, the direct debit never hit my account and I called to pay it on the 4th of sept .. by the 6th of Sept the late payment marker was on my acct already.

Sounds harsh to me.

I had an issue earlier in the year when Avro tried to collect my direct debit from the wrong account (had changed source and they had acknowledged change).

Had snotty email from them, making threats around late payment charges, but stuck to my guns and paid two months worth the following.

Avro did NOT put late payment marker on my file.

Perhaps I was lucky.

Hope you resolve this favourably.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP would be interested in a screenshot of your credit report, showing the late payment marker on the account? Presuming all of your dates are accurate for the due date and payment made date?

I don't believe Nationwide gave you a late payment marker for 43p missing and it barely being a week late. Also have you asked Nationwide again WHY was the direct debit cancelled? If it again genuinely wasn't your doing, that's their system error which should at the least you notified, so you could remedy the situation immediately.

Again I'm assuming everything in your story is accurate. If Nationwide really have added a late payment marker, and you see it on your report already (damn quick if you ask me?) that is extremely harsh and I would log a formal complaint.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    Sparx wrote: »
    Again I'm assuming everything in your story is accurate. If Nationwide really have added a late payment marker, and you see it on your report already (damn quick if you ask me?) that is extremely harsh and I would log a formal complaint.
    I did wonder if OP meant their Nationwide "account", rather than a CRA file "account".

However, it is entirely possible that they have already reported to the CRAs...if they report on the 1st Sunday of the month.

Hopefully the OP will come back and clarify.
  • LilPretty
    Options
    i have a late payment marker on my experian credit file.

the adviser on the 5th first alerted me to it and he said the payment was made in the following month - my dd was due on the 28th of aug..

the late payment marker was not for 43p... it was cos my payment was not made on the 28th

he further then advised that NW do not represent direct debits - so if the direct debit ever failed for any reason they don't represent it.

i have made a complaint - i received an auto response back saying they aim to respond within 2 working days.

i will check my credit file again now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport