Learning to budget to make future adventures happen

Options

Comments

• crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    Crunchy

Now my two boys are 17 & 13 I realise that stressing over toys, size, quantity etc isn't really a big deal.
    They are little for so long and soon lose interest in toys. Accept the toys with good grace, store them as best you can and come July sell, give away, dump them if not played with or needed.

My parents and inlaws are in their mid/late 70's, time is precious with them. My kids don't need me much now anymore either.

Honestly, time goes by so quickly. And now at 47 I realise when I was 35 I got in a flap about such silly things that now I couldn't care less about.

I definitely appreciate the sentiment. We are talking about a table football table and a princess castle! In a small semi detached house. I literally have no room for this stuff. Husband says I need to put my 'Monday morning face' on when it is unwrapped and then it can be moved up into the loft once he has lost interest in it. The issue is when they come round and see it gone. One year they bought him a cheap and nasty drum kit which was trashed by the end of January. Its like they are making up for all those years when my husband and his sister were small and they couldn't afford big expensive toys and now they can. Its to make them happy and not the kids - they have admitted that. Its what they want them to have based on their own ideals rather than what the kids want. Then I have to deal with it. I'm not grateful at all I wish they would just save their money and buy stuff he actually wants to play with. Grrr
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning diary,

Pay day today. Way more than I was expecting even after my pay was docked because DD was ill. They must have sorted out the emergency tax. So £500 slushed away for January childcare, £350 for our Christmas holiday and the rest (£750) is for Christmas bits and then debt. I'm going to chuck it at the credit card but not update my signature until New Year when the dust settles.

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Spent 2 hours driving today and in that time decided that £500 of that money will go towards the loan instead so loan now stands at £10,000 exactly. In 2 weeks time it will be £9500 so I have achieved my dream of it being under £10k by the end of the year.

In retrospect, I realise that to some I might seem mean about my in laws in regarding gifts. However, my MIL has joked about buying garish stuff just to p**s me off.........which it does. And my own mother is CONSTANTLY inflicting sugary food on me and my husband whenever and we go despite protests of 'no honestly its fine we are full, we don't need it, wont eat it, etc and she just wont listen and in fact acts like we have kicked her in the guts when we do. She wants you to want it which we don't and we have had numerous discussions about it but because she was raised to be grateful, everyone should be too. She acts like she has listened but then next time its like she has forgotten. Difficult yes and the cause of lots of grief and tears over the years.

Sorry - I'm just ranting now. At least its n here and not to them!

Crunchy x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    In 2 weeks time it will be £9500 so I have achieved my dream of it being under £10k by the end of the year.

This is wonderful news! :j

That's a shame about your MIL, I think every family at least one member like this. Rant away - it will help get it out of your system!
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Evening diary!

Good news - husband has managed to transfer his credit card balance onto the 0% one! Hurrah! The minimum payment was set to £50 so I hope that can continue therefore we are saving £40-£50 a month which can go on actually paying it off now.

Just had a quick chat with husband and he has promised to only put fuel on it from now on and claim his mileage on time to pay it off. I shall review it in 3 months time.

Our strategy is now spare multiples of £100 go on the loan and anything under goes on the credit card. Now we are half way there my determination is stronger than ever. I'm starting to think of things I would like to give up in order to reach my goal sooner.

First challenge. Trying to get through the next 9 days by spending as little money as possible out of the £350 Christmas money fund and the £100 I have 'spare' in my account.

I'm going to check out now until New Year's Eve when we are back and I will of course let you know how it goes!

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!
    Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    I had to smile, your family sounds like mine sometimes. Mine get bought stuff that is too young for them but the kids are like wow when they open it and then it disappears. They've been given second hand stuff, which I have no issue with, but it was absolutely filthy and then stuff that was too old for them - toy soldiers with mean looking guns at 3..

I need to see your Monday morning face, because mine is not anything like it should be when I'm opening presents!!

Will subscribe to follow you!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Ha ha debtfreeoneday! I wish I could send you a photo! Think wistful, smug, head tilting like you are thinking about your first love. It gets me through the day at work for sure!

Bonkers presents btw!! I shall let you know how it all goes!

I wasn't intending on coming on here today but y car is being serviced while I wait and I don't have the kids with me so I'm enjoying 2 hours to myself with 4G and my notebook.

I have reviewed 2016 ( 10 highlights/10 disappointments/ 3 game changers/3 things I focussed on / 3 things I forgot and then a reflection) and made a plan for 2017

- slimming world
    - running a half marathon
    - no more loan
    - sewing clothes for myself

Very excited and keen to get cracking. Running today for the first time in weeks before dusk. Now disappearing to explore my pins on Pinterest.

Crunnch
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Happy Christmas crunchy. Hope you have a lovely day. :xmastree::xmastree:
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    I hope you had a lovely Xmas and your run was a fun one! x
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Morning! Hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas! We had a good one here at the cottage we are staying at! A change has been as good as a rest and we are looking forward to heading home tomorrow morning! Husband and I have managed a run and a hike so far and hoping for another walk with the kids before we leave. Money wise things have been ok but a couple of unbudgetted lunches out mean we may not manage a whole £500 off the loan this weekend. Husband gets paid tomorrow and I will do the figures tomorrow night (unless I'm tired from the drive home).

We have no plans for new year other than a bottle of wine and a walk and then it's straight back to work for both of us after the bank holiday.

Very much looking forward to getting stuck into the new yeAr!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing